The Red & Black: Best Online Publication

The Red & Black earns top ranking when Long Island University names it Best Online Publication.

Photo by Emily Cozza

The Red & Black accepts the award for Best Online Publication at the 2017 LIU Post Best of High School Journalism Awards.

At this point in your life, it is an inevitability that you have sat through some type of class where the teacher brings up the idea of work ethic through means of a seemingly profound quote, such as, “The only time that success comes before work is in the dictionary.”  As cliché as this is, it is one of the most genuine pieces of advice one can be given.  Over the past four months all of those involved in The Red and Black have learned the true meaning of hard work.  Friday, March 24th, 2017 marked The LIU Post Best of High School Journalism Awards.  The Red and Black submitted work to be considered in four separate award categories, which were only based on work from 2016, essentially only two-months worth of work for our news site.

When we initially arrived at LIU Post, we were met by a student of the university who served as our tour guide.  The primary focus of the beginning of the day was to attend a variety of  workshops in which the five students: Hailey Julian, Louis Walker, Matthew Correa, Justin Valverde, and Emily Cozza attended. Throughout the workshops we discussed the overwhelming significance and prevalence of digitally-based journalism that focused primarily on broadcasting, radio, and public relations.

Although we have already accomplished so much, The Red and Black does not plan to slow down by any means…

The day would end with the long-awaited awards ceremony.  During the ceremony, the first win would be awarded to myself, Emily Cozza, for Third Place Best Sports Story.  I was quite shocked by the fact that the first piece that I put out for the paper was the recipient of an award.  After about twenty minutes, it was time for the award for Best Online Publication, which all of us were eagerly awaiting the unveiling of the winner.  The moment that the two presenters said “and first place goes to, The Red and Black from Patchogue Medford High School!”  it became inherently clear to me that we were not simply putting work into something just because, there was a true end to justify the means.  The fact that we were capable of surpassing many Long Island School papers after merely two short months and were being recognized with such a crowning achievement was an indescribable feeling.  Although we have already accomplished so much, The Red and Black does not plan to slow down by any means and will continue to put out truly relevant, reliable, and entertaining content.