Veterans Honored by Hall of Fame

PMHS Varsity Baseball Team Held a Special Game in Recognition of Local Veterans

Photo by Hailey Julian

Members of the local American Legion attended the special Hall of Fame recognition ceremony and baseball game.

On Saturday, April 15th, the Varsity Baseball team hosted a veterans’ appreciation game following the Patchogue-Medford Hall of Fame Recognition Ceremony. Many people arrived to the ceremony in front of the high school to give their support to those who worked tirelessly in service to our country; it was inspiring to see. No matter what the event is, this community joins together to show their pride. Following the ceremony, participants and spectators paraded to the baseball field to see the Pat-Med Raiders play the Brentwood Indians with members from a variety of service branches throwing out the first pitch.

It is extremely important that we thank and recognize all that those men and women did for us; therefore, this ceremony was so wonderful to be able to show the veterans in our community that we appreciate and recognize them. So, if you see someone wearing a hat that says they’re a veteran, or you know someone who served for this country, thank them and tell them how much you appreciate them, even if you may not know them that well. The small things in life really make a difference, especially something like this for someone who did so much.

The baseball game, against the Brentwood Indians, was a great way to make this ceremony even more exciting. Not only did the veterans get to walk out onto the field and and stand there during the National Anthem; they also were able to come and throw out the first pitch to start off the game.  Also, it was a very exciting game because it was the last one in the series between these two teams. Both had won one game each, and the one played Saturday was the deciding game to see who would win the series. The Raiders won the game. Patchogue-Medford 2, Brentwood 1: Erik Matz hit a sac fly in the fifth inning to send Vito Morabito home to lead Patchogue-Medford (5-4) in Suffolk I. With two outs, Dan Codispoti drove in Cameron Lopez in the fourth to score the first run. Josh Rovner pitched the last two innings for the save. The winning pitcher was Tom Panullo. It really was an exciting ending to a great day.

This year, the 2nd annual Hall of Fame ceremony will be April 28th. If you do not know, the Pat-Med Hall of Fame is an organization run by people in the community recognizing graduates from Patchogue-Medford who have succeeded after their high school tenure. It really is a special evening to honor all the success people have achieved since graduating. This year’s ceremony will include many notable inductees such as Army Staff Sergeant Keith Bishop (1999), who lost his life while serving in Afghanistan; Paul Regina (1974) who was a television and Broadway actor, among many others whose careers vary from the Arts to fields in science. Come to Patchogue-Medford High School for the Induction Ceremony on April 28th.

In light of this event, The Red and Black is now starting a new series that will be called, Future Hall of Famers. It is our take on who we believe will one day get inducted into our Patchogue-Medford Hall of Fame. It will include people who have recently graduated and are already making a mark during their college years and a bit beyond.

Although my high school career here at Patchogue-Medford is coming to an end, I know this school district will always be a part of me. I have made so many memories and accomplished many things while I was here. That’s why I believe this Hall of Fame Induction is really a special ceremony; it truly shows how although one may move on to bigger and better things, you will always remember where it all started. I know when I leave, I will always have a special connection with Pat-Med because it is where I learned all I needed to know for my future. As many in the community state, “once a Raider, always a Raider”.