The PMHS auditorium fills with honorees, students, faculty, administration, and community members to honor those being inducted into the 2017 Hall of Fame. (Photo by Stella Rae Wilkins)
The PMHS auditorium fills with honorees, students, faculty, administration, and community members to honor those being inducted into the 2017 Hall of Fame.

Photo by Stella Rae Wilkins

Where the Past is Always Present

The 2nd Annual Patchogue-Medford Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony took place this past Friday at the high school.

May 1, 2017

During the Day

“Where the past is always present” — that is such a simple, but, significant statement. It emphasizes how one can do great things during their life and show the present generation how they got there. This statement is the Patchogue-Medford’s Hall of Fame Booster Club’s slogan. Friday, April 28th, this organization truly showed how the past could be brought into the present at their annual Pat-Med Hall of Fame ceremony. This year’s inductees from actor, Paul Regina to the 1997 LI Football Championship team were truly inspiring.

Before the evening ceremony, many of the inductees or their representing families came to talk to students at the Pat-Med High School during the day to tell the stories of how they accomplished the various successes in their lives or the lives of their loved ones. Being able to watch these people passionately talk about their accomplishments and how it all started here was incredible. I was able to walk the Regina family around the high school; Nicolette Regina, Paul’s daughter, fondly remembered the memories that both she and her father shared as Pat-Med alumni. It was such a fascinating thing to see as the day progressed. There were other mentors that shared their stories with our students including:  C.J. Funaro, grandson of Frank Provenzano; Sam Stahlman, volunteer coach for 1997 football team; and many more.

The Evening Ceremony

At 5:00pm on Friday night, the doors opened to an unforgettable evening. The gym was filled with hundreds of people to watch this special event happen. The inductees, their families, and the community came to mingle and enjoy a great meal from the Aegean Cafe. As the 6:30 start time approached, the real magic was about to begin. It was wonderful to see the inductees walked down the auditorium aisles with such Pat-Med pride. There were special awards given to community members. Mr. Tom Combs was given a special recognition award for all of his accomplishments with his work as the Patchogue-Medford Athletic Director. The Raider Courage Award was given to our very own Sean Dixon for the strength he has demonstrated throughout his arduous journey. It was evident how thankful and appreciative each inductee was through the words they expressed in their acceptance speeches. The last award presented was for the “Person of the Year”; this year’s recipient was Trish Graham, president of Pat-Med SEPTA.

The Raider Courage Award was given to our very own Sean Dixon for the strength he has demonstrated throughout his arduous journey

The Inductees

Teachers:

Coach Frank Provenzano

Mr. Bert Pollock

Graduates:

Dr. Debra Judelson, Class of 1969

Ms. Christine Goerke, Class of 1986

Mr. Paul Regina* Class of 1974

Mr. Ed Ellis, Class of 1982

US Coast Guard/PFD Michael Reilly* Class of 1977

Army Staff Sergeant Keith Bishop* Class of 1999

Teams and community:

1997 Long Island Champions/Rutgers Cup Winners

Varsity Football Team

Patchogue Fire Department Van Guard

Forty Thieves Racing Drill Team 1981-1984

Final Remarks

All of these people have either made a difference within this community or have continued to develop the talents they’ve learned here at Patchogue-Medford into their careers.

Overall, this night was such an inspiration to anyone who attended. It was obvious how much pride and love there was within the community. We may come from a small town, whose name many cannot pronounce, but those who reside here have proven that one can achieve great things in their life. This event really brings the Pat-Med past into the present showing students how even the little things you do can add up and make a difference. The entire Booster Club did an amazing job planning this whole event. We would be amiss to not recognize the exceptional work by President, Mr. Manny Felouzis and Vice President, Mr. Harry Farides who truly made this night a great success. This was a team effort by all.

Please be aware that they are now accepting applications for next year’s ceremony. So, start thinking of who you would like to see recognized at the 2018 PMHS Hall of Fame induction ceremony.