The Parade

October 24, 2017

Th  After the long hours and controlled chaos that is float site, it must be nice for those students to finally see their hard work and dedication pay off. For the community, the experience they have at watching these handcrafted delights, along with the rest of the parade, is an experience that is invaluable. Before the parade, as someone who has never gone to it before, I didn’t know what to expect; my main thought heading into it was always how the community plays a key role in this part of the festivities. After having the privilege to interview Mrs. Cani, Mrs. McGourty, Mrs. Mars, Mrs. Goldfader, and Dr. R,  I could not help but ask how they feel on this topic as well. After analyzing all their responses, one key aspect became prevalent: the parade is not just a culmination of the students hard-work, but also a thank-you and love-letter to the whole Pat-Med area for the sense of camaraderie we share. As Mrs. Mars put it: “It is no longer just about those who attend the high school, yet, it is about everyone in the community and how we all play apart in the success of the next generation.” This concept, expressed by all of the counselors and staff I spoke with, could not be more accurate: after attending the parade, and seeing the community first-hand, I was left speechless at the turn-out.

From the old to the young, those who could barely walk anymore to those who haven’t even learned to yet, the range of people and faces that came in the mess and crowd to watch what our school- our community have built was unrealistic. People by the dozens lined up with chairs, coffees, Pat-Med T-Shirts, sweaters, pants, you name it, these individuals repped it. When the show began, it was a humbling experience to see how many different aspects of the community were marching down Main Street: ROTC, youth groups, Raiderettes, the band, Saxton kids, the court, and of course, the floats. For us who attend the high school, we know the friendly rivalry that is present between the classes. The distinction, though, put best by Dr. R, is “competition is good, but coming back together is an incredible aspect of our school.” The families and friends of the four classes at the parade, demonstrated this sentiment in a way words cannot justify.