Think Globally, Act Locally: Recycle!

A new initiative starting at PMHS

Photo by Dr. Rusielewicz

From left to right: Danny Gordon, Ronny Lospenuso, Kaylin Markart, Meghan Oleary, and Brooke Shellman

This Monday, November 27, the high school’s recycling initiative began. After working with Dr. Rusielewicz, several students, and the town of Brookhaven, recycling has finally become a reality at the high school. Sixteen blue recycling bins have been placed in various locations throughout the school to collect water bottles.

The initiative has been divided into two steps. The first step, which started this Monday, involves collecting water bottles in the blue bins. The bottles will be refunded and the money will be used to purchase new containers. The second step begins once enough money is acquired to purchase new bins to collect additional recyclables that are permitted by Brookhaven Town’s recycling policy (see image below for items). Bottles will continue to be collected in the blue bins, while remaining recyclables will be collected in the new bins.

Photo by Courtesy of Town of Brookhaven
What can and cannot be recycled

Teachers are encouraged to assist in this initiative. To help, teachers can leave a box in their classroom, which can be emptied into the recycling bins that are scattered throughout the halls. Many teachers and students have already expressed their interest in the program, so hopefully the Raider community can collaborate to reduce the amount of waste that enters the landfill. A future goal would be to expand the recycling initiative to the rest of the buildings in the Patchogue-Medford District. Since elementary school, I have proposed recycling in the schools, so I am glad to see the program finally beginning at the high school.