• November 13Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• November 13Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

• November 13Today is an 'A' day!

Filed under A&E

The Office, An American Sitcom

Playing over and over on our TVs.

PMHS+student+sports+a+Dunder+Mifflin+t-shirt+as+an+homage+to+the+hit+television+series+%28no+longer+on+air%29%2C+The+Office+%28U.S.%29.++
PMHS student sports a Dunder Mifflin t-shirt as an homage to the hit television series (no longer on air), The Office (U.S.).

Photo by Alison Mckeough

Photo by Alison Mckeough

If you spend any time in front of your television, there’s a good chance you have seen at least one episode of The Office. This show has captivated audiences since its premiere in 2005, jump-starting the careers of Steve Carrel, John Krasinski, Ellie Kemper, Mindy Kaling, and many more. Episodes play on T.V. frequently, and all nine seasons are streaming on Netflix, so it’s readily available to anyone who wants to watch.

The show is a mockumentary that focuses on the lives of the employees of Dunder Mifflin, a small paper company in Scranton. Over nine seasons, characters fall in and out of love, argue, form friendships, chase dreams, succeed, and utterly fail. All of these themes are tastefully surrounded by humor. The show has become wildly popular again, and it becomes harder and harder to avoid it in modern pop culture.

One of the things particularly interesting about the show is the phenomenon of people watching episodes over and over again. Teens and adults alike watch the show multiple times, falling in love with characters, and crying at heartfelt moments. For many, the show never gets old. The average person can recite their favorite scenes on command, and even people who are not fans of the show, appreciate a good “That’s what she said” moment.

Have you repeatedly watched episodes of The Office?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

It’s unclear why people don’t get tired of watching the storylines play out. It might be because of the comforting nature of the simple humor and the happy endings. It might also be because there are so many characters, that there are new details every time you watch an episode. Because of the versatile cast of characters, it’s easy to see yourself and others reflected on the screen. For example, if a friend said to you “That guy is such an Andy Bernard” you would probably know just what they meant, and steer clear of the stereotyped Andy. No matter the reason, the show is like a security blanket for many people.

Many people said they watch it so many times because it’s just a good show. No one can deny that the sitcom is well written and often hysterically funny. It’s impossible to pinpoint what makes the show so likable, but the good-natured, relatable characters and the love stories buried under jokes and innuendos certainly play a part.