Filed under A&E

America’s Got Talent Finale Recap

It's all in the cards for America's Got Talent

Photo by Esme Warmuth

Photo by Esme Warmuth

As the finale of America’s Got Talent begins, a certain nervous energy is felt. The contestants are real people, fighting for the $1 million prize, and the title that will launch their careers and change their lives. Ten of the most talented people in America party in the lounge backstage, but can’t quite hide the feeling that the journey they’ve taken this season will soon end, and they will either walk away with the biggest victory of their lives, or lose everything they have fought to achieve.

The show starts with an energized performance by Kiss, followed by Bebe Rexha singing with contestant Glennis Grace. Second was, Samuel J. Comroe, who convinced judge Mel B. to tell jokes in his place for a night. The third act to step on stage was teenage singer/dancer Courtney Hadwin, head banging along side of breakout band, The Struts, she was followed by opera stars Daniel Emmet and Placido Domingo. Vicky Barbolak bantered with David Spade and Michael Ketterer, hero to many young children, sang a song custom written by the legendary Garth Brooks. This song was touching and earned a standing ovation from the audience. Magician Shin Lim baffled viewers once again with his flawless close up magic, followed by Brian King Joseph and Duo Transcend, uniting their acts. They were joined by violin sensation Lindsey Stirling. The last act to perform was dance troop Zurcaroh.

At this point, the heartbreaking part of the show must begin. Between Zurcaroh and Duo Transcend, Zurcaroh moves on to the top five. Next, Brian King Joseph advances, sending Glennis Grace home. Shin Lim and Samuel J. Comroe move into the third and fourth spots, while Daniel Emmet and Vicky Barbolak leave the stage disappointed. The final pairing is Michael Ketterer and Courtney Hadwin, with Ketterer taking the fifth spot.

The relief of making the top five is short lived however, because now it will be narrowed down to one contestant, the winner. In fifth place, is Michael Ketterer, fourth is Samuel J. Comroe, my personal favorite. In third place is Brian King Joseph. Now it’s between Zurcaroh, and Shin Lim, two very different acts. The tension on stage is high as the show drags out the results. Host Tyra Banks speaks the words “America has voted for the last time this season and opens the envelope that will make or break the two final acts. And the winner is, Shin Lim.