Adding Essential Oils to Your Healthy Lifestyle

Adding+essential+oils+to+your+healthcare+regimen+can+have+a+lot+of+benefits.+The+popular+choices+include+lavender%2C+eucalyptus%2C+and+peppermint.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Adding essential oils to your healthcare regimen can have a lot of benefits. The popular choices include lavender, eucalyptus, and peppermint.

Photo by Esme Warmuth

Photo by Esme Warmuth

Photo by Esme Warmuth

Essential oils have been used for centuries as additives to cosmetics, medicine, as part of religious rituals, mummification, and countless other ways. Ancient Egyptians considered them necessary to be one with the Gods, and during an outbreak of the Bubonic plague an essential oil based medication called Ayur Veda was used as a successful treatment. Although they’ve been around for a long time, these oils have recently gained popularity yet again.

Common uses for them in modern times are typically for stress relief, clearing congestion, healing acne, weight loss, and much more. Some of the most popular types of oils are lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus.

Lavender oil can be used to relive headaches, accelerate the healing of cuts, fade stretch marks, and help with insomnia. Along with these health benefits, studies have shown that lavender can improve brain functions in Alzheimer’s patients. Like most essential oils, lavender can be inhaled or applied to the skin directly.

Peppermint essential oil can sooth sore muscles, lessen nausea, wake you up if you’re tired, treat cold and congestion, and increase hair growth. It comes from the peppermint plant, which is a hybrid between spearmint and water mint. It is also used as flavoring in foods and beverages, and as fragrance in many cosmetics.

Eucalyptus oil can be quite useful as well, it can relive sore throats and seasonal allergies. It can be used as a humane rat repellent, and a chemical free disinfectant.

When using essential oils, remember that they can be quite strong if not diluted. Many people choose to diffuse essential oils into the air, which can be done very easily. Simply boil a pot of water, and put a few drops of your essential oil of choice into it. Inhale the steam that rises from the pot, and let it work its magic.