Filed under A&E, Uncategorized

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

Pokemon fans: what to anticipate in theaters in May 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

Want to know what coming to a theater near your? R&B has the scoop!

Photo by Matt McCabe

Photo by Matt McCabe

Photo by Matt McCabe

Pokémon. Probably every single kid born in the last two decades would know this franchise. From playing cards to Nintendo games to Cartoon Network shows, the company built on the mantra “Gotta Catch ‘Em All” has inevitably infiltrated into the lives of many.

In the recent years, Pokémon has made it its goal to become more interactive with reality. Pokémon Go was a craze that consumed people of all ages, all across the world, that was released in the summer of 2016. This mobile app allowed the old and young to fulfill their inner dreams of actually becoming a Pokémon trainer, catching new creatures, battling other trainers, and even trading.

Another video game that was recently released was the Nintendo Switch take on “Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! And Let’s Go, Eevee!” Culminating all the hype from previous Nintendo games, this recent installment aimed to improve upon graphics and appeal to younger players being introduced to the franchise.

While these games have certainly captivated the attention of a huge population since its inception in 1995, no one was prepared for the video that was released just over a week ago. Titled “POKÉMON: Detective Pikachu,” the new movie trailer introduces the first live-action film in the franchise. Ryan Reynolds stars as the voice and facial motion capture of Detective Pikachu, while other actors like Justice Smith, Kathryn Newton and Ken Watanabe also play major roles. The film is a joint production between Warner Bros. Pictures, Legendary Pictures, and The Pokémon Company, and is scheduled to be released on May 10, 2019.

So what is the premise of the movie? In a universe where Pokémon and humans live in harmony, Tim Goodman is the son of prominent detective Harry Goodman. However, his father soon disappears in a car crash, and Tim meets up with Detective Pikachu in Ryme City. Tim is somehow able to communicate with Pikachu, and they eventually team up to find Tim’s father and uncover the mysteries of his abduction.

The trailer covers Pokémon from various regions/generations, so there are potentially hundreds of different creatures we will be able to see in the film. Although some may be weirded out by the “furry” animation of the Pokémon, or that Pikachu has the same voice as Deadpool of all characters, no one can deny that this would definitely be the perfect movie to watch in theaters. On YouTube, the trailer has already racked up 50 million views over the course of two weeks. Evidently, the popularity of the Pokémon franchise remains strong amongst our current generations. With innovative installments like live-action films, one can expect The Pokémon Company to continue exerting its influence for decades to come.