The Red & Black Goes to Columbia University

Editors and staff writers on the Red & Black attended a national journalism conference at Columbia University

The Red & Black staff on the steps in front of Columbia Universitys Library.

Photo by Photo by Emily Cozza

The Red & Black staff on the steps in front of Columbia University’s Library.

On Monday, November 7, 2016, nine dedicated journalist students from the Patchogue-Medford High School’s school newspaper, “The Red and Black,” had the privilege to visit the prestigious Columbia University in New York City. Every year the Ivy League school holds a contributive conference for yearbook and newspaper clubs all over the area to learn from significant figures in the field of writing. They hold various workshops based on specific topics of journalism including creativity, how to speak, sports journalism, food journalism, and many others.

The two advisors, Mrs. Sullivan and Mrs. Mckeough, held a newspaper meeting in advance of the day of the conference to discuss the itinerary and procedures that were going to be followed during the event. With the writing conference only a few days away, buzz filled the room.

When Monday arrived, the nine young journalists were anxious, excited, and dressed in professional clothing. The students discussed current topics on the train and downloaded the conference app on their phones that helped them choose which workshops they wanted to attend before arriving at the university. All the chatter seemed to speed up the ride and before they knew it, Columbia University was footsteps away.

As the group walked into the building, authority figures directed us where to go. The team came across an auditorium filled to the brim with students who were also a part of their own newspapers from different schools in the region. Mr. Hanley, who also helps with “The Red and Black,” checked in the team and everyone finally got to disperse to workshops of their choice.

Each workshop consisted of about 30 minutes of lecture and presentation of useful tips the students could keep with them for the rest of their lives and throughout their future careers in journalism. Hailey Julian, Editor-in-Chief for “The Red and Black,” stated that she learned key lessons in each workshop she attended. “I learned to not be afraid to say what you feel or think even if it is a controversial topic.” She also adds “being a good writer doesn’t always mean a good vocabulary. You have to be able to be creative.” Louis Walker, who is another staff writer, responded with “always try and challenge censorship, interviewing is just informal speaking, and silence can be the best way to get information.” In addition to educational purposes, every member in the newspaper club who attended the trip had a more than enjoyable time.