Float Week Energy

October 24, 2019

Float week is always the most chaotic time for each grade’s class between the late nights and the stress of trying to get so much done in so little time. It’s always a mixture of intensity and excitement in between balling and fluffing tissue paper. However, this year the normal excitement only grew when an unexpected twist happened at float site. 

Mother Nature wasn’t on the seniors’ side Wednesday night when heavy rains caused some unusual issues. At the seniors’ float site, there was a power outage and kids had to work in the dark with the flashlights from their phones. 

“The blackout was very ironic because one thing  has to go wrong each year,” said senior, Jessica. 

Float site really allows you to meet new people in your grade and for everyone to come together and work hard on something creative. On the last night of float site, class advisors and students stay as late as they have to until the float is completely done. This year the latest class stayed until it was 3:30 in the morning, just to get back up at six in the morning to prepare for the parade. 

When Homecoming day finally comes it always starts off in the early morning with a parade in the town of Patchogue. Luckily, we were blessed with a beautiful day that wasn’t too chilly. 

After all of the chaos during the week leading up, students get to finally see their hard work and dedication pay off when their floats go down Main Street. The floats are always almost unrealistically good, it’s hard to believe that just a bunch of kids make them (with the help of some very dedicated parents and teachers, of course).

“The floats were absolutely magnificent,” said one spectator. 

All the grades deserve a round of applause for their hard work. The freshman float held its own by having all the dogs from the movie sitting and even had a few moving components. The sophomores, juniors, and seniors knocked it out of the park; all floats were on theme and had a lot of intricate and creative details.