• March 20Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• March 20Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

Filed under Feature

Now That It’s Over…

Tips for seniors after the dread of college applications

Back to Article
Back to Article

Now That It’s Over…

Seniors have been busy with getting all of those college applications complete.

Photo by Phoebe Lawson

Photo by Phoebe Lawson

Photo by Phoebe Lawson

Congratulations! If you have recently completed your college applications, you deserve a pat on the back. This huge accomplishment is essentially a culmination of all your hard work over the last few years. However, this is DEFINITELY NOT the time to slack off. Here are some tips and words or advice of how to proceed with the rest of your schools year!

• Keep paying attention in all your classes and doing all your work. Although your transcripts have already been submitted that does not mean you are in the clear for all your grades! If your university releases its admissions decisions in the spring, your admission is often contingent on your mid-year reports which come out in late February. These reports will display your second quarter grades and your midterms, so make sure to keep the grades up!
  • Tests still matter! In addition to midterms, many of you will still have AP tests. You may think that they are useless since you applications are already submitted. However, please remember that you spent hundreds of dollars to pay for these exams – don’t let the money go to waste. If you score well on those tests, you may be able to earn credit or even skip classes in college.
  • Unfortunately, applications are not over. It is reality that college is immensely expensive these days so it is absolutely essential to apply for scholarships. Patchogue-Medford High School generally offers scholarships for graduating seniors but those are not the only ones available. You need only look as far as Naviance or Google to find thousands of scholarships available.
  • Prepare for your interviews! Although your applications has been submitted, there may still be components to your application that have yet to be complete. Some schools either strongly recommend or even require interviews. All schools do them differently so make sure to check with your schools to see what the policies are. They are an excellent opportunity to show the admissions committee your intangibles as well as learn more about the school from alumni. Some schools only provide interviews to those who request it so make sure to check the school website as well as your applicant portal.
  • Make sure your school received your application! The worst possible scenario is doing all that hard work to apply to your dream school only to have a malfunction in the system leading to the admissions office never receiving your application. Check your email (including your spam and promotion folders) to see if you have a confirmation of your application. If you receive a link to activate your admissions portal, do so immediately! Many schools have a online checklist to show you what materials that have received including transcripts, teacher recommendations, and official score reports. It is a great way to make sure all your materials are in order. Additionally, these portals may provide instruction for further action including request for interviews or supplementary materials. This may also be where you check your admissions decision later on.
  • Scholarships are not the only way to receive help in paying for college – apply for financial aid. If you have not done so already, talk to your parents about FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and CSS Profiles. Schools have different requirements of what financial information they require, so make sure to check their websites.
  • Refrain from inappropriate behavior. Just as bad grades may lead to rejection of your admissions, bad behavior may lead to rescissions even if you have already been accepted. Remember that everything you do on the Internet may be seen and scrutinized.

I know – it seems like a lot to keep in mind after that roller coaster of college applications. But, you have come this far, don’t give up now! The most important thing is just to relax. At this point, the decision is out of your hands and all you can do is hope for the best. College is just around the corner and undoubtedly will be a life-changing experience. However, high school happens only once. Appreciate the present and enjoy the rest of senior year!

About the Photographer
Phoebe Lawson, Staff Writer

Grade 11

"Do you own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."