Spring Sports and What They Mean to Our Players

Photo by Olivia Thorgensen

Spring sports are under way at PMHS. Follow PM Athletics department on Twitter for updates on games and results.

It’s that time of year again. After a snowless winter, we start breaking out our skirts and shorts hoping we might somehow convince spring to come faster. We cling to our tissues as allergies kick in, and we try to hold on to our effort to get through the rest of the year. But something is helping us: the thought that it’s time for spring sports.

Our spring season includes girls golf, baseball, softball, boys tennis, badminton, girls and boys lacrosse, and cross country. For these athletes, the final season of the year can have a special meaning. For seniors, it’ll be their last time playing for the Raiders. Underclassmen might miss hanging out with friends everyday after school and doing something they’re passionate about. Still others might look to honor friends’ memories and the sports they played.

Here are a few comments from our athletes and coaches on the season so far, why they enjoy their sport, or what keeps them playing year after year.

Girls Lacrosse– “Why I continue to play lacrosse is because it keeps me in shape, opens up great college opportunities, and most of all I get to make great memories with my friends.” – Ashley Codispoti (Senior)

“I’m excited to win a few games and hopefully make it to play-offs. We’ve had a great season and hopefully we keep it going!“ – Katie Wright (Senior)

Boys Lacrosse– “I love lacrosse because it gives me a lot of self esteem being with a lot of people I know and they boost me to do better. My team pushes me to be the best that I can be and that’s why I love it.“ – Michael Acosta (Sophomore)

Badminton– “What I like about badminton is that you get to play with your friends and you can play all the time. There aren’t many rules and it’s pretty much a fun sport overall.“- Sean Owen (Freshman)

Baseball– “I’m looking forward to playing with a fun group of guys who all have a lot of talent when it comes to baseball. I’m also looking forward to having a really good and fun season and hopefully making the final four.“ – Partick Dallas (Sophomore)

Softball– “During softball, our team is like a family. We all enjoy playing together and even though it’s hard work, we have a lot of fun. We trust one another which in very important and we cheer each other on during games too. We practice six days a week so we have been with each other a lot, and some of us have become really close.“ – Crystal Zaharatos (Freshman)

Cross Country– “What keeps me running is the thought of mind over matter and how I can break my own mental barriers with my own physical strength and that’s pretty cool to me.“ – Fabiola Villatoro (Sophomore)

Boys Tennis– “I’m looking forward to the team making the playoffs after being seated fifth it would be nice. I’m also looking forward to a number of my players to make all county and possibly move onto all-state.“ – Coach Molinaro

Girls Golf– “Although we don’t have a lot of players this year which is sort of a disadvantage, but it really brought us together as a team and a family. I’m really looking forward to making new memories this season with all the girls and just having fun on the course!“ Pelin Bozok (Junior)

On behalf of The Red and Black, we wish all teams a successful season! Good Luck!