Get to Know One of Our Newest Teachers

Ms. Malone, a former PMHS student, joined the high school math department this year.

Photo by Sadie Wisniewski

Ms. Malone joined the PMHS math department this year but, isn’t new to our high school.

Ms. Malone joined the faculty at PMHS this year, but she is definitely not new to the building; she is an alumnus of PMHS. This school is what inspired her to become a math teacher. Read to find out what her responses are on what it’s like teaching at the school you graduated from.

Question: Given the fact that you are a math teacher now, when you attended school here, was math your favorite subject?

Answer: Yes! Math has been my favorite subject my entire life.

Question: How does it feel to be teaching at the school you graduated from?

Answer: Yes, it is such a privilege to give back to the community I’m from; to teach at the place that inspired me to become a teacher is amazing.

Question: What are a few things that you notice to be different about the school now from when you went here?

Answer: The biggest thing is technology, there is computer software’s such as Kahoot and Nearpod that were not around when I was here. They also offer different kinds of clubs now and the library has many more fun events and things to do now as well. There are also more elective options.

Question: Is the general vibe of the school different now if so, how?

Answer: No, Pat Med has also been a very inclusive school who wants to help their students and teachers – it has always had the same sense of unity.

Question: What made you want to be a math teacher?

Answer: I have always loved math since I was a kid. I loved puzzles and thinking about different ways of doing things. I also had a math teacher in 8th grade who made math fun and exciting and I wanted to do that for other people.

Question: When did you decide to be a math teacher?

Answer: The idea first came into my head in 8th grade, although I did consider other things as well but, it has always been idea that I had. Then I had a teacher in 11th and 12th grade and that’s when I made the decision that I wanted to do that with my life.

Question: Are you happy to be back?

Answer: Yes! Ecstatic! It feels very nostalgic to be back in the school I learned in. It’s nice to see some of my old teachers who are now colleagues.