Dive Into the 2023-2024 School Year with Some Useful Tips!

Photo by Sadie Wisniewski
The library is applicable to all grades and provides them with a positive environment with resources to get work done. Pull quote: “It is okay to not be entirely sure what you want to do in life but by getting involved in school activities you may find yourself.” – Ms. Tirado

The start of the school year can be a stressful time for all grades. From wondering if you can take on the workload, trying to navigate the hallways, and even just the excruciating hot weather.  

By grade level these are some helpful tips for students adjusting to the roller coaster that starting the school year can be: 

Freshman: It is important to seek mentors that know the school very well. This could be any staff member, teacher, or even just another student in a different grade.  

Although it is still important to maintain healthy relationships with those in your own grade as it is helpful to have people to work with in class, having a connection with an older student or staff member will allow them to give you knowledge and tips you may want/need about the school. They can show you around and tell you the ins and outs of high school.  

Tyler Gleason (current sophomore) states: “My advice for the freshman is: use the courtyards, they work wonders when you are trying to get from the front entrance to another class on the other side of the building. Do not be afraid to find other ways to get to class, if you know where you are going, make your best judgment. On the other hand, it is okay to ask other people for help. Make friends with upperclassmen: it may hurt at the end of the year, but you will realize that many people in other grades share your common interests. Have a wonderful year class of 2027!” 

Mrs. Sclafani, freshman class advisor suggests: “Get involved! It is important for every student to get involved in at least something. It does not even just have to be homecoming. Examples may include a sport or a club. It makes your connection to the school stronger and positive.” 

Sophomores: Next to your junior year, your sophomore year can be the most crucial out of your high school experience.  

It is in fact important to manage your time and know your limits. Many clubs and various kinds of courses and clubs are open to you this year so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for any opportunities that may come your way! 

Madison Lees (current junior) says: “Get your homework done early, treat your teachers with respect because they are there to make your life easier. Try your best to avoid extremely crowded hallways.” 

Juniors: Junior year is known to be the most crucial year out of your high school career, but you can do it! Just like the Sophomores you must know how to manage your time and know your limits. Make sure you stay organized and on top of things by setting reminders and creating to-do lists.  

Whenever anything seems difficult remind yourself that next year will be your Senior year and look forward to that. 

Isana Alicea (current senior) suggests: “Build relationships with your teachers and ask for help when you need it. I promise you’ll thank me later! Keep up with your schoolwork as you’re nearing the end. Lean on your friends. This is an important year but do not forget to have fun and enjoy it. There are many things to look forward to this year, including junior prom.” 

Seniors: This is the homestretch, but it is not over yet. Yes, there will be many things to look forward to this year such as senior day, prom, graduation, etc. but it is still important to keep on top of your grades as you want to finish strong.  

This is your last year of high school so be sure to talk to your favorite teachers and your friends. Make it a year to never forget.  

Ms. Tirado Guidance Counselor adds: “My advice for seniors would be not to wait in planning what you want to do when you graduate till the last minute, as it comes up fast. Be sure to get involved with the senior activities! It is okay to not be entirely sure what you want to do in life but by getting involved in school activities you may find yourself.” 

Although each grade has its own situation one thing that we all have in common is that we are all starting something that is new to us. The best thing to do is look out for one another and remember we are all in the same boat despite our different circumstances. 

View Comments (1)