Horror Movie Suggestions

Whether+youre+staying+in+or+headed+to+the+theater+for+a+fright%2C+weve+got+you+covered+for+the+season+of+horror+flicks%21+
Photo by A. Mckeough
Whether you’re staying in or headed to the theater for a fright, we’ve got you covered for the season of horror flicks!

“Do you like scary movies?”

Every week leading up to Halloween I’ll be giving you all my top picks on horror movies that you should watch this fall. For this first week my three movie suggestions will be less Halloween horror and more horror thriller we still have a long way to go until Halloween, there’s plenty of time to get to all the slasher movies that make Halloween.  

1. Ready or Not (2019)- In this horror/comedy we follow a bride’s wedding night that takes a malevolent turn when she is forced by her in-laws to play a sinister game of hide and seek. This movie combines horror and comedy so well that you don’t have time to be scared because there will always be a witty joke or anecdote to lighten the mood. This is more of a thriller than a horror movie, there are very few jump scares so it’s a perfect watch for anyone who is too scared or squeamish to watch a slasher like Halloween or Friday the 13th. It is a little gory but nothing too crazy. It is rated R so make sure you get parent/guardian’s permission or watch with an adult. 
  2. Child’s Play (1988)- The original Child’s Play movie is the first of seven movies and a two season T.V show with a third season on the way. The original Child’s Play movie is much more serious than its successors. In this first installment we follow a “Good Guys” doll that may or may not have the soul of a serial killer. When this doll is given to a little boy by his mom the boy, with his doll, lands in the wrong place at the wrong time and is now a suspect for murder. The mom then finds out the doll has been moving and talking without batteries, that’s when we realize something truly sinister is going on. This movie is also rated R for violence and language, as far as I remember the movie wasn’t that gory, but it does use some colorful language so make sure to get permission from a parent or guardian to watch.
  3. Final Destination (2000)- This is the first installment of a five-movie series. This movie is not gory compared to its counter parts but there are some scenes that show what’s to come in the next movies. This first movie follows a group of teens that are about to board a plane on a school trip to Paris. After a few seat switches and conversation, the flight takes off. Shortly after departure, the plane ignites into a ball of fire, and no one survives. Then our main character wakes up. That’s right the entire opening disaster scene was all in his mind. He has a premonition, a vision of the future, so naturally he freaks out as the exact events start to happen in real life as in his dream. After making a scene and getting him, a few of his classmates and one of the teachers accompanying them are kicked off the plane, the plane takes off without them. Just as his dream predicted the plane exploded and all the remaining passengers died, luckily some of the students got off the plane right, wrong, now death, the Grim Reaper himself is hunting down all the survivors one by one, will they escape or will death succeed? This movie is a great bridge between horror and supernatural thrillers. There are not many scenes that are very gory or scary. This movie is also rated R so make sure to get permission or watch with an adult. 

These were the first three movies that I don’t consider to be very scary Halloween movies.

In the weeks leading up to Halloween there will be two more articles with my horror movie suggestions getting scarier each week, come back next week for another installment of my horror movie recommendations.