‘Tis the Season for Cinema

Holiday Movie Recommendations Part 1
Photo by Allyson McGowan
Start brewing some more hot cocoa because these joyfully jolly holiday movies are not going to be able to watch themselves.

The season of cooling air and falling snow is the perfect time for cozying up with a nice warm cup of hot chocolate and watching a festive holiday classic. In this series of articles I’ll be going over some of the best holiday movies to get even the Grinches in the holiday spirit.

Christmas Vacation

1. Christmas Vacation is one of my all time favorite holiday movies for how hilarious it is. Following the Griswold family and their plans for the ultimate family Christmas, Christmas Vacation is a comedic story where everything seems to go unexpectedly wrong. It is a relatable story for people hosting their own families for the holiday season, even if the events in Christmas Vacation seem a little over the top and unrealistic in the best possible way

2. Home Alone

Home Alone is a classic film starring a young boy named Kevin after he is left at home by himself as his giant family travels to Paris for the holiday season. Home Alone is a funny movie for the whole family to laugh at as Kevin adjusts to living independently. However, Kevin not only has to worry about groceries and laundry, but burglars trying to rob his home as well.

3. Krampus

Looking for something more on the scary side? Well, Krampus tells the story of what happens when a child loses their Christmas spirit and the consequences that come with it. The movie is an eerie tale based on the European folklore legend of Krampus that features killer gingerbread, demonic toys, and scary elves. It’s a perfect movie to watch late at night with all the lights off.

4. Elf

One of the most popular Christmas movies that happens to be celebrating its 20th anniversary is Elf. Starring Will Ferrell, Elf is a humorous story about a human boy who grew up working with Santas Elf’s before venturing into the human world to find his real family in New York City. The story is perfect if you want a good laugh and a good time.

5. 8-Bit Christmas

Streaming exclusively on Max, Hulu, and Amazon Video, 8-Bit Christmas is a movie not many people talk about, but they should definitely start. The story takes place in the 1980s where a young boy, Jake,  wants a Nintendo Entertainment System more than he’s ever wanted anything else in his life. But of course, his parents aren’t so keen on the idea of video games. This chaotic tale follows Jake and his friends on their epic adventure to finally acquire a Nintendo for themselves.

Stay tuned for even more holiday movie recommendations to come during the next few weeks!