‘Tis the Season for Cinema: Holiday Movie Recommendations (Part 2)

Photo by Allyson McGowan
Start brewing some more hot cocoa because these joyfully jolly holiday movies are not going to be able to watch themselves.

With the holiday season getting closer and closer each passing day, it is the perfect time to let the holiday movie marathons begin. Whether it be an iconic classis or an animated delight to get you into the festive spirit, this list will have something for you.

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

No matter which version of the movie you prefer, the original live action or a more modern animated version, the story of How the Grinch Stole Christmas has been able to captivate audiences of all ages. Taking place in the small town of Whoville, which happens to be located on a snowflake, the citizens are overjoyed with the upcoming holiday season. Except, of course, the Grinch. Follow along as the Grinch plots his evil plan to steal Christmas and learns what the true meaning of the holiday is.

2. The Naughty Nine

This new movie streaming exclusively on Disney+, The Naughty Nine, is a story about a group of children who find themselves with no presents under the tree on Christmas morning. This could only mean one thing, that they are on the naughty list. Determined to not have Santa keep their presents in his workshop forever, the group of kids develop a plan to sneak into Santa’s workshop and take the presents that are rightfully theirs. This movie is a great family movie and perfect for having a good laugh.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas

While some may argue that The Nightmare Before Christmas should be classified as a Halloween movie rather than a Christmas movie, why can’t it just be both? Sure, the story follows Jack Skellington, the leader of Halloweentown, but the real story is how Jack wants to take the Christmas spirit and incorporate it into Halloween. Jack Skellington was so enamored by the festivities of Christmas that he decides to kidnap Santa and use him to make Halloween more jolly and joyful.

4. March of the Wooden Soldiers

March of the Wooden Soldiers is a movie that can be viewed either in color or black and white, as the movie was produced nearly ninety years ago in 1934. Despite being old, watching March of the Wooden Soldiers is a Christmas tradition many families partake in. The story takes place in a fairytale world called Toyland and follows Ollie Dee and Stanley Dum, two toymakers who work for Santa, as they try to help Mother Peep save her house and Little Bo Peep from marrying the evil Barnaby. While the story itself is not inherently focused on the holidays, it does feature festive aspects with their failed toymaking adventures.

5. Gremlins

Another movie that does not center itself around Christmas but takes place during the holiday season is Gremlins. Needing a perfect Christmas gift for his son Billy, this father stumbles across a mysterious yet adorable little creature named Gizmo. Unfortunately, Billy breaks all three rules on how to take care of Gizmo and accidentally unleashes a troublemaking horde of gremlins around the festively decorated town. The joyfully snowy scenery of Christmas paints the perfect backdrop for this adorably chaotic film.