The Tortured Poets Department

Screenshot of The Tortured Poets Department on Apple Music. Album release is April 19th, 2024.

On February 4th, 2024, Taylor Swift once again made history at the 66th Annual Grammys when she took home her fourth Grammy for Album of the Year for her critically acclaimed 2022 album, Midnights.

Rumors buzzed about the possibility of Swift announcing another rerecording album when she would indefinitely take home the award, and many speculated the announcement of her 2017 album Reputation. Others wondered if she would announce a new album, staying in tune with a pattern of releasing two re-recordings and then a new album (the case with Midnights), but it seemed unlikely as Swift just resumed her worldwide Eras Tour.

But of course, Swift once again made the seemingly impossible possible when she announced her 11th studio album, The Tortured Poets Department, would release April 19th, 2024. Swift worked on the album shortly after finishing Midnights and continued to develop it during the course of the Eras Tour.

Swift describes The Tortured Poets Department as a “lifeline” album, modeled after the five stages of grief. TTPD will more than likely be a breakup album, released a little over a year after the publication of her breakup with actor Joe Alwyn, and storytelling of her experience with the stages of grieving that relationship.

Since the announcement of the album, Swift has revealed some of the lyrics to one of the first songs through social media; “And so I enter into evidence / My tarnished coat of arms / My muses, acquired like bruises / My talismans and charms / The tick, tick, tick of love bombs / My veins of pitch black ink / All’s fair in love and poetry…Sincerely, The Chairman of the Tortured Poets Department.”

TTPD will feature 16 songs as well as collaborations with rapper Post Malone and band, Florence and the Machine, on songs “Fortnite” and “Florida!!!”

During the Eras Tour, Swift also announced a bonus track for each physical version of the album; “The Manuscript,” “The Bolter,” “The Albatross” and “The Black Dog.” However, this has caused quite a stir in the fanbase as almost nobody wants to have to buy four separate albums just to hear one extra song from each. As much as we love Taylor, her merch and pricing isn’t ideal to most.

This was also the case with Midnights, which was given a Target exclusive release with the bonus song “Hits Different,” and a late night edition included the song “You’re Losing Me.”

Until their digital releases, fans would have to buy the exclusive physical versions to hear bonus songs, those two being arguably some of the best songs on the album as well. Hopefully, Swift will upload the four bonuses to streaming platforms to make the entire album accessible to all.

Swift also recently released five playlists on Apple Music, each themed after one stage of grief, with all her current music (with notable exceptions of her self-titled debut album and Reputation, the only albums left to be rerecorded). This caused lots of uproar with fans, as popular love songs such as “Lover” and “Lavender Haze” were listed on the denial playlist, as well as “invisible string” on acceptance.

The Tortured Poets Department releases April 19th, 2024, and is already looking to be one of her best albums. Taylor Swift continues to be a versatile, talented artist beloved by many, and we are very excited to listen to what she has in store for us next!