• April 18Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• April 18Talent Show is at 7 PM on Friday. Tickets are $5 and may be purchased at the door.

• April 18Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

The Benefits of Having a Job in High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

And now a word from:
Sarah, Anson, Justin, and Erin

And now a word from: Sarah, Anson, Justin, and Erin

Photo by Matt McCabe

Photo by Matt McCabe

Photo by Matt McCabe

High school students are said to be under more stress now than ever. A lot of kids use that as an excuse to rely on their parents’ money and not work for themselves. However, some students should consider the benefits of having a part time job in high school. For example, students can make money for themselves. For seniors, and sometimes even juniors, this is necessary to put gas in your car and to be able to go out to eat with your friends on the weekend. Even though that alone should be enough for students to want to work, there are even more benefits they should know about such as the heightened level of respect people will have for you, gaining experience and independence.

It is not surprise that Generation Z consists of some of the largest spenders on the market, constituting an estimated 40% of all consumer spending by 2020. With the ease and access of online shopping, purchases can be made with a literal touch of our fingertips. Particularly for older high school students, “hanging out” is something that comes with significant costs. As mentioned before, putting gas in your car could lead to enormous costs, and that doesn’t even consider insurance and maintenance. Depending on location, car insurance for young drivers could cost anywhere from $900 to $11,300, likely towards the higher end. Aside from simply having fun and the freedom of travel, college life is on the horizon. Aside from paying tuition, room, and board, it is an incredibly smart idea to begin saving up. Textbooks in school are notoriously costly and for many, the dining hall food can only be consumed so many times in a row. Not only will you build your savings, you will develop good habits and time management to keep a job even at college full-time.

From a parental viewpoint, part-time jobs teach teens responsibility and money and time management along with giving them a taste of the real world as well. These Skills learned through a working experience thus immensely aid in the preparation of the teen for adulthood, as studies show that students who work 10-15 hours per week are better prepared in academic and career areas. Parents worldwide are now forcing their children to become employed as soon as possible, making their own money not only teaches them valuable life lessons but also relieves the parents of abundant amounts of stress about expenses. After all, parents want to help create the brightest future possible for their children and now more than ever a job early on seems to be a necessary part of that process.

While the perspectives of students and parents may be convincing enough, having a job in high school is even more beneficial when considering college. According to the College Board, studies show that students who work are more confident and possess better time-management. These skills help reinforce both responsibility and learning in school, which while taking up some time from studying, will lead to stronger foundations in the long run. Counselor John B. Boshoven of Community High School even discusses traits like “maturity, responsibility, independence and initiative” that will provide students with an advantage both when applying to college and while attending college as a student. Ultimately, if a student is able to find a healthy balance between work, schoolwork, extracurricular activities, spending time with family and friends, and getting enough rest, he/she will develop strong skills to ensure them success in the future.