• April 18Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• April 18Talent Show is at 7 PM on Friday. Tickets are $5 and may be purchased at the door.

• April 18Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

Filed under A&E

A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

The All-School Musical premieres this week at the high school. Don't miss it!

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

Grant Yoches, Aidan Weiler, and Andrés Rendon perform “Fugue for Tinhorns” in character as Rusty Charlie, Benny Southwest, and Nicely Nicely Johnson

Photo by Esme Warmuth

Photo by Esme Warmuth

Photo by Esme Warmuth

As the school musical grows closer, the cast, crew, pit orchestra, and many other parties involved, work tirelessly to produce a masterpiece worthy of a Broadway stage. Many students take part in bringing the show to life, but the cast is definitely at the heart of the performance. The show is chock full of talented singers, dancers, actors, and triple threats. Here are some of these talented people’s opinions about the show Guys and Dolls.

Andrés Rendon is playing Nicely Nicely Johnson, Aidan Weiler is playing Benny Southwest, and Grant Yoches is playing Rusty Charlie. They open the musical with the first song, “Fugue for Tinhorns” an upbeat trio that will definitely set a high bar for the rest of the show. Andrés said “I really identify with Benny Southwest because him and Nicely, my part, are so similar in character and we interact so much. I feel like a lot of us influence each other so much…and also a lot of the quirkiness comes from our own personalities.” Aidan added “I feel like (me and Benny) are kind of quirky, we’re not like super cool, we’re just kind of there ready for whatever.”

There are two distinct groups of people in the story of Guys and Dolls: the gamblers led by Nathan Detroit (played by Jack Pringle) and the missionaries led by Sarah Brown (played by Annie Rodriguez). When asked which side they personally believe is right, Sarah said “I’m definitely on the side of the mission, I’m very reserved” however Jack said “If I were to pick a side, it would have to be the (gamblers) side, not because it’s illegal or for money, but because they’re having fun, you know they’re out there living their lives.”

Sarah and Nathen’s love interests, Miss Adelaide and Sky Masterson, are played by Molly McCabe and Alex Albrecht. Molly described her character as “Adelaide is very independent in her relationship even though she still feels like she needs one she knows when to be herself and she doesn’t always rely on (Nathen).” Alex said, about Sky Masterson, “There’s just something about his free will, he really feels like he can do anything, he just goes out and does it. He has so much confidence in himself you know, any bet he makes he wins, that’s it.”

Other important characters in the show are Arvide Abernathy played by Jacob Christy, Angie The Ox played by Gio Verdi, and The Hotbox dancers, including Jess Fin, with whom I spoke. Jacob said this when asked what his favorite number to perform is “Luck be a Lady… is just so much fun, how fast and upbeat it is. It’s so detailed and sharp even though it moves so quickly. Gio said “My favorite number to perform is definitely Havana… it’s so fun to watch all the commotion and chaos.” And Jess said “They’re all amazing, but I love Sue Me between Adelaide and Nathen, it’s a really funny number, it gets the audience involved.”

Make sure to check out Guys and Dolls, February 7th, 8th, and 9th at the high school!

1 Comment

One Response to “A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls”

1. Debra Albrecht on February 8th, 2019 9:40 am

These kids are BEYOND AMAZING and I’m so proud of each and every one of them!!

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

Pet Sementary Disappoints

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

When Friends are Family Too

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

Top 5 Disney Films

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

Greta: A Review

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

The Kissing Booth

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

AGT: the Champions Disappoints Superfans

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

Marvel Mania

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

Chelsea Chimes In: Top 5 Broadway Shows to See in 2019!

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

Top Ten Songs of 2018

• A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls

A&E

Top Ten Movies of 2018

A Sneak Peek at Guys & Dolls