Filed under Feature

ASMR: Relaxing For Some; Not For All

The newest Internet trend is calming for viewers but making others outraged.

Many ASMR channels and accounts use mics similar to this one to get brain tingling sounds for their listeners.

Photo by Luka Giacalone

If you’ve ever scrolled through your Instagram, Youtube, or Facebook explore page and have stumbled on videos with people doing things from eating, tapping, whispering way too close to a microphone; that is the newest, widely growing trend called Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response videos(or ASMR videos for short).

The main reason why this is such goldmine for people to get big on social media is because of the relaxing tingles the videos give off to the viewers and also rids them of their anxiety.

Science Daily says,”Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) — the relaxing ‘brain tingles’ experienced by some people in response to specific triggers, such as whispering, tapping, and slow hand movements — may have benefits for both mental and physical health, according to new research.”

These videos are extremely soothing, and even therapeutic at times. There have been countless times where I’ve fallen asleep to the calm tapping of nails on a soda can.

Freshman Luka Giacalone says “it’s really calming, but I only like the ones of animals because hearing humans slurp on live squids makes sweat pour down my body, and sometimes I can hear my own blood current. @griffinfrenchie is the best ASMR account there ever will be.”

However this isn’t the case for most of us. Some people think of ASMR as a creepy, and even disturbing, thing on the Internet.

“The point of ASMR videos it to be pleasing to the ear but in my case they are not. They are not useful in anyway and they are not funny. They do not help society with with anything and they are just stupid” said freshman Aya Elzoghby.

When you think about it, these types of videos on the Internet can be perceived as strange on the inside looking in, but if these videos help calm you down like they do for a majority of the people that view it; why should you care what others say?

About the Writer