Suicide Awareness Week: A special week dedicated to something worth talking about all year

PMHS+social+worker%2C+Mrs.+Rosario%2C+speaks+with+a+student+about+resources+available+in+our+high+school+for+students+that+need+support.+

Photo by Phoebe Lawson

PMHS social worker, Mrs. Rosario, speaks with a student about resources available in our high school for students that need support.

National Suicide Awareness week is from September 8th to the 14th. During this campaign, people are informed about suicide, what to do if someone needs help, and suicide warning signs.

Some of the suicide warning signs include: increasing the use of alcohol or drugs, withdrawing or feeling isolated, talking about being a burden to others or sleeping too little or too much. However, sometimes there are no obvious signs and that is when you have to ask, “How are you, really?” or “Are you okay?”

For the average person who is not trained on which specific details to look for, if you hear someone say “I don’t feel good”, “I’m not happy”, “I’m better off not being here”, say something to someone. Ms. Rosario, Patchogue-Medford High School Social Worker said.

Having a week dedicated to teaching, talking, and getting an understanding of suicide makes it easier to help those who need it.

“Because of the world we live in today, we need to make kids aware that there is a place where they can go and get help” 

— Ms. Rosario, social worker

Having a great support system and people you know you can talk to is the most important thing and gives the ability to talk out your feelings and find a solution to any problems you may have.

“Sometimes, even with all of the help from professionals, peer to peer is important because people trust that even more,” said Ms. Rosario. “They feel that you are not going to judge them in the way that they THINK we are going to judge them.”

When someone feels like there is nothing else going for them, they have to be able to turn to someone because in the end, they are not alone. You are not alone.

A reminder: always speak up for the people you care about if you have any suspicion that they are not okay. Even if it is something minor, or they said a statement jokingly but sounded serious, notify the right person so they can judge the situation. You can’t hurt, only help when it comes to speaking out to protect the ones you love.

Never feel like you don’t want to get involved. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, for anyone who may need it: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or text “Hello” to 741741.