PMHS Senior Shares Her Experience Living A Healthy Lifestyle

Alex Reksten practices meditation, yoga, and eats a clean diet to maintain a healthy life and outlook

Photo by Photo by Alex Reksten

PMHS senior, Alex Reksten offers her take on living a healthy lifestyle

Louis Walker, Community News Editor

The daily challenges of life can place an enormous amount of stress on people, so it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. As a means of maintaining the health of our bodies, the vegetarian lifestyle along with daily exercise is a growing trend in the United States. According to the Vegetarian Times 3.2% of the United States’ adult population is a vegetarian which is approximately 7.3 million people.

Not only are adults becoming involved, the millennial generation make up a large portion who have taken up this sustainable lifestyle. With the creation of social media, the spread of information on the vegetarian way is easily accessible to thousands, motivating them to become a part of the greener movement. Secondly, the internet provides an outlet for current vegetarians and vegans to share their advice for newcomers, helping them overcome the struggles of what to eat and how to deal with people’s reactions. To further aid their bodies and overall health, exercises such as yoga play a key role in maintaining agility and flexibility, preventing those creaking bones of old age.

In our own high school, many people, both male and female, practice this lifestyle. One student provides the excellent example of a healthy lifestyle. Alex Reksten, a senior, has been a vegetarian/vegan on and off since she was eleven but has remained consistent for the past three years. Part of her weekly routine involves going to the gym for cardio, kickboxing, Zumba, and yoga. Her firsthand experience has shown her the benefits of a healthier way of living. She states that she feels more energized each day, more ready to tackle the mountains of work that stem from a good work ethic. She doesn’t doubt the physical and mental health advantages of such a sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyle.