Patchogue-Medford High School Greatest Moments of 2018

Throughout 2018 Patchogue- Medford High School has had many standout achievements and unforgettable moments, that will be remembered throughout 2019.

Photo by Keya Bullock

The Cheer Team ignites the crowd after an intercepted pass against Commack.

10) The school musical-The Little Mermaid

The school musical was a big hit and got rave reviews from everybody that watched it. The Little Mermaid had brilliant set design that really made you feel that you were underwater. The actors and actresses in that musical also had lovely singing voices. Just like any other musical this school has put on, this one was top quality.

9) Girls Tennis making it to the first round of playoffs

The Girls’ Tennis team made into the the first round of playoffs after playing a historic season of victories. Celebrating sports teams is difficult because it takes a long time to strike the perfect balance of athletes on a particular team: this year, the Girls’ Tennis team struck gold.

8) The Marching Band in the Newsday Festival

The Marching Band and the Color Guard performed at the 56th Annual Newsday Marching Band Festival. The festival was held at the Mitchel Field Athletic Complex in Uniondale, on October 16th. The Marching Band and the Color Guard performed a routine at the festival.

7) The First Annual Shakespeare Festival

The first ever Shakespeare Festival was held at Patchogue-Medford High School on November 30th. AP Language and AP Literature students helped to teach the building all about Shakespeare, his works, his life, and the Elizabethan era in general. The AP students made booths to educate other students about common themes in Shakespeare works. There were also works of art by Pat-Med students, a flash mob organized and performed by students, and a professional actor there to teach stage combat and recitation.

6) Patchogue-Medford High School Model UN Conference

The Model UN club had their annual Model UN Conference, in November of 2018. It was a two day conference that hosted students from 11 different high schools, including our own. It was the club’s 11th time hosting the conference at our school.

5) The Football game: “Salute to Service”

On October 5th, the Patchogue-Medford High School held a “Salute to Service” football game. The game honored past and present military personnel for their service in the military.

4) Student-Organized Response Assembly

After the Parkland school shooting that rocked the country on Valentine’s Day of 2018, There were three students in our high school took it upon themselves to organize a fast response to the shooting and gun violence in our country. This assembly was essentially a forum to which you could speak your opinions on the subject of gun violence in schools. 

3) Raider Bowl

The annual school tradition that starts off the Homecoming season is Radier Bowl, a competition between the different grades levels, in all type of different competitions and challenges. The winner of Radier Bowl gets points toward their Homecoming score.

2) Homecoming

The annual celebration of Homecoming draws former students and the community as well as current students and their families. The celebration starts off with Raider Bowl and ends with the Homecoming football game: the time in between? Just a mad rush of trying to finish floats, bulletin boards and much more. This year’s theme was trilogies. The Homecoming celebration is a staple of the Pat-Med community.

1) Stick it to Cancer Floor Hockey Tournament

The Stick it to Cancer Floor Hockey Tournament, was dedicated to Sean Dixon, a member of the class of 2019, who tragically lost his battle to cancer in late 2017. In 2018 a team played in Sean’s honor, in the tournament. The tournament that started in 2014, now annually raises money for families of high school students that experience illness.