Weekly Update

The latest news updates from near and far

Photo by Phoebe Lawson

Updates on news near and far.

PMHS Life:

• The District-Wide String Night Concert is being held on March 21st at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Auditorium.
  • The second POPS Concert is on March 28th at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Auditorium.
  • The PTSA will be hosting its Annual Basket Auction on Friday March 29th at the High School.

Community:

• The 29th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Ronkonkoma is on Sunday, March 24th and will start at the corner of Patchogue-Holbrook Road and Portion Road at approximately 2:00 p.m.
  • There was a house fire early Monday morning where two women died and a man was pulled out to safety by nearby police officers.
  • Blaze Pizza in Bayshore celebrated pi day (March 14th) by selling pizza pies for $3.14 for the 6th year in a row.

National:

• NASA stated that the next person to walk on the moon and the first person to step foot on Mars will be a woman and they are looking forward to seeing it happen.
  • In California, the rising sea levels are impacting many people and can have an effect on storm intensity which is said to increase drastically by 2100.
  • The state of Montana has been experiencing extremely cold weather conditions for almost a month straight. The last time the weather was this bad was almost a decade ago.
  • Over fifty people were indicted on Tuesday for the largest known college admission scam — parents from Hollywood, CEOs of companies, and a law firm executive were among those charged.

International:

• A school building in Nigeria collapsed the other day while school was in session, more than 40 people were rescued from the building.
  • Shortly after takeoff on Sunday, an Ethiopian Airline crashed killing 157 people and injuring many others.
  • 111 schools in Malaysia were shut down after toxic waste was illegally dumped into a nearby river and got many students sick.
  • Ten people were killed in a school shooting in Brazil — among the victims were five students.