The Raiders Won Homecoming!

100 years of Patchogue Medford Football

Photo by Kristin Carlson

Class of 2026 Float — the Freshman Class was introduced to how Pat-Med does Homecoming.

This year’s Homecoming game marked the Raider’s 100th year of football at Patchogue-Medford, and it was certainly one to remember. From the very start of the game, the crowd was buzzing with excitement as Patchogue Medford’s staff, students, and families boasted their school pride by sporting our school’s signature colors red, black, and white. To boost the crowd’s excitement the marching band, conducted by Elliott Richards, played familiar songs such as “Seven Nation Army” and “Uptown Funk.”

The Raiders started off strong against Bayshore’s team, the Marauders. Kaeshawn Higgins, player #60 of the Marauders insisted that “Hard work always pays off,” but does hard work pay off for them? Before the game continued, Patchogue Medford put on an amazing halftime show which started with the marching band. They performed an exhilarating march and moved with precision. The band was followed by the Raiderettes, who executed their choreography with shining smiles and enthusiasm that riled up the crowd. Afterwards, the Homecoming court nominees proudly walked out in front of the crowd and the winners were announced: 

Freshman Lord and Lady: Tyler Gleason and Charlie Lake    

Sophomore Duke and Duchess: Brandon Baker and Aurora Dougherty  

Junior Prince and Princess: Logan Guzik and Rylee Wassmer  

Senior King and Queen: Jack Costello and Irelyn Worontsoff   

Congratulations to all the winners! Jack and Irelyn, the Homecoming King and Queen said, “We are honored and excited that we won.” 

During halftime, the winners of the battle of the classes were announced as well: 

T-Shirts: 

1st Place – Sophomores 

2nd Place – Juniors and Seniors tied 

3rd Place – Freshmen 

Bulletin Boards: 

1st Place – Seniors 

2nd Place – Juniors 

3rd Place – Sophomores 

4th Place – Freshmen 

Skits: 

1st Place – Seniors 

2nd Place – Juniors 

3rd Place – Sophomores 

4th Place – Freshmen 

Floats: 

1st Place – Sophomores 

2nd Place – Juniors 

3rd Place – Seniors 

4th Place – Freshmen 

Overall, the Class of 2023 won the competition, with juniors in 2nd, sophomores in 3rd, and freshman in last place. The classes went wild, especially the seniors, about their placements. However, no matter what you win participating in school spirit is always fun.

Dr. R said that “Homecoming of 2022 has definitely been an overall success for the community, the high school, and the parents from Raiderbowl, to the class shirts, to the floats, and everything else.”

As the game went on, the crowd grew more aggressive, as did the players. You could hear parents shouting and barking to the song “Who Let the Dogs Out” as the Raiders scored significantly more than the Marauders.

By the time the clock ran out, the Raiders won 32 to 13 and everyone screamed with excitement. The Marauders walked off the field with their heads hung low as the crowd welcomed the Raiders to the stands to congratulate them and take pictures.  

This year’s Homecoming was simply unforgettable.

John Castillo, a senior here at Patchogue Medford, said “I’m happy to end my last year with the seniors winning the battle of the classes and the Raiders winning the football game!”