Featuring PMHS Teachers

Ms. Barresi
Photo by Sadie Wisniewski
Ms. Barresi at first wanted to go into law and be a lawyer, but then she discovered her passion for teaching.

Our fifth featured teacher is Ms. Barresi who is a teacher of Global History 1 for Freshman and Introduction to Psychology. Before working in the Patchogue Medford District, Ms. Barresi worked in the Syosset and Massapequa School Districts, but she has working in Pat-Med for 27 years. 

Ms. Barresi was asked select questions that go beyond only what happens in the classroom, these were her responses: 

Q: What inspired you to become a history teacher? 

A: Ms. Spadacini who was a teacher of mine. She taught history and law in the most amazing way.  

Q: What did you feel like on your very first day of being a teacher?  

A: I felt as though I found my calling and realized exactly what I wanted to do.  

Q: What is one experience you had in your life that was a sense of growth or realization? 

A: Originally, I wasn’t sure if teaching was what I wanted to do, then I went into a middle school classroom in Binghamton, to make sure that’s what I wanted to do. I was so inspired by Ms. Spadacini and the students that I realized it was exactly where I wanted to be.  

Q: What are your passions outside of being in the teaching profession? 

A: I love to travel. Recently, I have started painting. I didn’t think I could do it at first. Painting allows me to have so much freedom.  

Q: What are your favorite places you have traveled to, and what were your favorite parts about them? 

A: South Africa and Thailand. The history of South Africa is appealing to me, and it is so beautiful. In Thailand I enjoyed visiting the elephant sanctuary. 

Q: What is your favorite topic to teach during the school year and why? 

A: I enjoy teaching geography because the students do not realize how much of the world there is to uncover that goes beyond the United States, and I love giving them that knowledge. I also love teaching Russian history.  

Q: What is one word you would use to describe yourself when you were in high school and why? 

A: I was well-rounded. I loved sports, I was in the Mock Trial Team, I was a cheer leader, I was on the gymnastics team, and the student government. 

Q: Who is a person in your life that had an impact on you and how did they change you?  

A: Mrs. Oldis (a fellow teacher), she and I travel together, and she goes to places with me that no one else would go to. 

Q: If you could say one thing to your high school self, what would it be and why?  

A: That it is all going to be okay. Everybody stresses over the future but it’s best to not stress because it is all going to be okay.  

Q: What is a quote you live by? Why do you believe this quote is important? 

A: “The purpose in life to is know yourself, love yourself, trust yourself, and be yourself.” As everything stems from knowing who you are.