• April 18Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• April 18Talent Show is at 7 PM on Friday. Tickets are $5 and may be purchased at the door.

• April 18Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

Filed under PMHS Life

A Creative Take on a Dystopian Society

My take on Netflix's "Bird Box" ***spoilers ahead***

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Creative Take on a Dystopian Society

Popcorn and movies are the best way to spend a lazy weekend!

After about a month from its release date of December 13th, the talk of Netflix’s original “Bird Box” has come to a slow. Memes and jokes began to pop up on multiple platforms primarily featuring the movies signature blindfold worn by actress Sandra Bullock throughout. Although for me, this movie was much more about the hidden messages than the jokes afterwards.

Having an unequivocally happy ending gave light to the seemingly dark entirety of the movie. As for my interpretation I believe two things, the first that being impaired with a disability does not mean that you are inferior to anyone else.

Sandra Bullock’s character of “Malorie” ends up at a school for the blind with her two children “Girl” and “Boy” after having survived the grueling and almost impossible battle against the ‘darkness’. This school for the blind has become the only safe place in this post-apocalyptic world they have been unwillingly caught up in. Due to their disability they are not affected by the darkness, thus resisting suicide unlike everybody else. A beautiful place with open arms for any rare survivors portrays this idea of equality amongst ‘normal’ and disabled persons as for once blindness is seen not as a disadvantage but rather the most sought after advantage.

My second thought consisting of a similar take, that suicide is not the answer and how life is always beautiful in the end. Approximately one million people commit suicide worldwide each year, most leaving this earth thinking that there is nothing good left to it. But “Bird Box” offers an enlightening change to that, again with the relieving ending.

The struggle of navigating across extremely dangerous waterways and through dense forest with two children, let alone with a blindfold on, is unthought of and this is not to mention the PTSD that characters such as “Malorie” suffer through after watching their loved ones commit mass suicide.

While watching and biting your nails at every turn, the suspense seems to go on forever. So, when the end has finally arrived and you can take a sigh of relief it makes the audience feel as though it was worth all of the heart palpitations and hand clenching.

People are looking for brand new content, something refreshing from the usual zombies and love stories commonly seen across many series and films. So it is loved and said to be “truly heartbreaking but beautifully motivating at the same time” from a mother’s perspective but criticized by some for “its parallels to other dystopian society based movies”.  As for me, I would recommend this potential award winning take on Josh Malerman’s novel to almost anyone.

The casting, overall ideas, suspense, visuals, and emotion truly made it one of Netflix’s best eye opening films yet.

About the Writer
Erin Conner, Junior Editor in Chief

Grade 11

"Some of us say we'd rather have something than absolutely nothing, but the truth is, to have it halfway is harder than not having it at all."...