• March 22Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• March 22Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

Filed under Opinion

From Pen to PC

One reporter considers if it is better to use computers or handwriting.

Are+there+benefits+to+working+on+computers+in+school%3F+Or+are+we+better+off+writing+information+by+hand.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

From Pen to PC

Are there benefits to working on computers in school? Or are we better off writing information by hand.

Photo by Alison Mckeough

Photo by Alison Mckeough

Photo by Alison Mckeough

At Patchogue Medford High School, most schoolwork, essays, and writing pieces are handwritten. However, there are a number of projects and work done on the computer. Maybe someday in the future, the majority of schoolwork will be completed on computers.

Isabella Scuteri, a junior from Pat-Med thinks “It is easier to type up your work on the computer, but it is helpful writing it down because it helps to remember it more.”

Using computers can be convenient. Perhaps, your handwriting isn’t the best or you can’t copy the notes on the board quick enough. Typing your notes is quicker and more efficient; allowing students to have more organization.

Joel Klein, leads News Corporation’s education tablet program noted on CBS, “At its best, education technology will change the face of education by helping teachers manage the classroom and personalize instruction.”

With the increasing use of technology, young students will be more determined to complete their work because they won’t need to use a pen and paper. Computers can also improve the way students learn.

Although, computers may distract students, teachers and advisors can easily monitor the students’ activity on the tablets or computers and even use the traditional handwritten method as a “punishment.”

Utilizing technology in classrooms could be very beneficial, not only for the students, but even for the teachers. They could grade easier by opening a file instead of recording papers. Hopefully, along with many other changes that could help our school, the switch from writing to typing will happen.

About the Writer