“Conducting” an Interview with the Newest Music Teacher, Mr. Johnson

Photo by Photo by Jenna Fanelli

Mr. Johnson conducting the PMHS band.

This year, the PMHS Music department welcomes its newest conductor, Mr. Johnson. I had the opportunity to sit down with Mr. Johnson and ask him a few questions about how he plans to put his stamp on the wind ensemble and marching band here at the high school.

Mr. Johnson was not unfamiliar with our music department prior to being hired by the district. In fact, he knew Mr. Randazzo, who retired several years ago, which gave him an advantage knowing the high quality of our high school band and the standards that had been previously set. He also had the opportunity to listen to recordings of some of the band’s performances, but that didn’t make it any less intimidating to jump into a new position on the first day of the 2016-2017 school year.

When I brought up the topic of Mr. Rudnicki, the former conductor, and his closeness with the band, Mr. Johnson responded with ease and confidence. “The kids came in and obviously weren’t expecting him because he had told them he wasn’t coming back. They already knew who I was when I got there. As a new teacher you just have to make sure you keep your guard up and make sure you’re doing your job.” I asked how he approached the conversation with the students on the first day when he stepped onto the podium. He told me that he prepared by telling them “I know I’m not Mr. Rudnicki, but here’s what I have to offer.”

Thankfully, the students were respectful and adapted quickly to their new teacher, and are also doing extremely well with the new music they are being given. Some students even took the initiative to meet Mr. Johnson at freshmen orientation and brief him on some of the most important aspects of band so that he would haven an even better insight before coming in; one of those aspects being the marching band.

Mr. Johnson has plenty of experience with marching band and is excited to push it to continue this year and to see it grow. “Our kids are going to be seeing a different side to marching band than they have in the past,” he said. “I want it to be a positive thing. The kids are still transitioning into actually moving while they play, instead of just standing still which is scary for some people and it really is a whole process. I think the mind-set will kind of shift to ‘Oh. Eighty-five percent of the kids are doing it. I want to participate too.’”

After our interview it is clear that Mr. Johnson has only positive intentions and hopes for the band. When I mentioned the high caliber of the music students he was fully aware of the strength and talent most have. He intends to keep the band playing music at levels five and six, the highest they can play, and continue to help them advance in their respective crafts.