Computer Science and Coding Club

Photo by Moncerath Gutierrez Matute

There’s a new and exciting computer science and coding club at the high school!  

The new club consists of two different topics: one is competition based, the other is introduction to computer science and coding.

It meets every Wednesday from 2:25 – 3:00; the advisor is Ms. Moshman in room 374. 

The competition team was opened to students who have taken or are currently in AP Computer Science. It is a competition by the American Computer Science League (ACSL). 

The introductory part of the club is where you can learn the basics of code- either through the club’s CodeHS or through another source- and it’s an open space to ask any questions that you may have on computer science or coding. You can learn along with the guided lessons, or you can work at your own pace! 

Ms. Moshman says, “This is a student run club, meaning that we discussed what languages students wanted to learn, and build from there.”

When asked what her favorite aspects of computer science and coding were, Ms. Moshman had a few great things to say: 

·         “The fact that everything is tied together with something that wasn’t even thought about earlier.  Everything is tied together through programming now – all students should learn some type of programming at some point, whether it is Web Design, Java Programming, or Python.  Some colleges are even starting to require a programming course for students.” 

·         “It’s always changing and developing!  I can teach the same Math class for twenty years and not much changes, but I’ve been teaching Computer Science for twenty-three years now, and every year something changes, updates, or develops into an updated version that has to be learned!  It keeps me on my toes!” 

·         “There are so many scholarships available for Computer Science since it is the wave of the future, and students do not realize that!  Especially young ladies – there are SO MANY scholarships and awards to apply for because they are looking for more inclusion in the Computer Science and Coding world!” 

So, if you want to start learning or learn more about computer science, coding, and how it is such an integral part of the world today, then stop by the next computer science and coding club! 

In the first few weeks the CS/Coding club is already a hit, with some students saying: 

·         They’ve been waiting for a club on CS/Coding because of their interest in it and are excited to interact with others that have shared interests. (Eddy T) 

·         It’s a new and interesting club and everyone should give it a try because you can learn new things! (Samantha B) 

·         It’s a great starting point if you plan to major in computer science! (Julian A) 

·         Great opportunity to learn beyond a CS class and in a different environment. Plus, Its fun! (Martina C.) 

With so much to offer and shining student reviews, why wouldn’t you give this club a try? All are welcome to the Computer Science and coding club: meetings are on Wednesdays from 2:25-3:00 in room 374!