Anticipation for the Upcoming Solar Eclipse

***NOTICE: Due to potential risk of eye injury, it is advised that no individual look directly at a solar eclipse without protective eye gear***
There are special glasses that are on the market that protect your eyes so that viewers can experience the solar eclipse safely.
Photo by Mrs. Sullivan

On April 8th, 2024, we are expecting a once-in-a-lifetime experience- a solar eclipse. Solar eclipses are incredibly rare, while they occur 2-5 times a year, they only occur once every 400 years in the same location.

When and Where?

The solar eclipse is expected to cross the United States beginning at around 2:30 pm (EST) and finishing around 3:30 pm. If you are viewing from Long Island, it is best to go outside around 3:20pm, as maximum coverage will be reached at 3:28pm. (image from CNN of past solar eclipse)

What is a Solar Eclipse?

A solar eclipse is when the moon passes directly between the sun and the Earth, blocking out the sun’s light for a brief period. This casts a shadow of the moon onto the Earth’s surface, and often it can seem like it is darkening into nighttime, but in the middle of the day. While the moon is in front of the sun, there is a small rim of light still visible behind it. This is the sun’s faint corona. The corona is like the sun’s atmosphere. Scientists utilize the solar eclipse as a prime opportunity to study the sun’s corona with a clear view.

Safe Viewing

While solar eclipses are beautiful, it is important to not look directly at them. Direct viewing of a solar eclipse can result in retinal burning, solar retinopathy, and even permanent blindness. Luckily, there are many safe methods for taking part in this wonderful phenomenon. You should view the Sun through special eclipse glasses or a handheld solar viewer during the partial eclipse phases before and after totality. The eclipse glasses are sold at convenience stores, technical supply stores, and online. Be certain to purchase glasses that are certified for coverage.

Should Schools Close for Solar Eclipse?

Since the solar eclipse is so rare, parents want their children to see it and not miss out. However, many children- especially those in primary school, will be missing out, as they will be in class. While most schools are sticking to the normal schedule, some schools in upstate New York, such as the Syracuse School District, are closing to give their students a chance to experience this rare event. Other local schools are giving their students early dismissal.

What do you think? Are solar eclipses that special that they’re worth missing school for? What should Patchogue-Medford do in the future when there is another rare astronomical event?