The Game of Kings Makes its Debut at Pat-Med

Photo by Miles Diekmann
On Wednesday, March 13th Pat-Med’s Chess club had its first meeting after school in room 248.

Chess is a game that was invented in the Gupta empire over 1500 years ago and is being played regularly by 605 million people worldwide.

Over the course of the game’s long history, few could argue that there is a more important day in Chess’ history than March 13th, 2024, the day of Pat-Med’s chess club’s first meeting.

Considering the game’s popularity, it was a surprise to Desmond Chierico, the club’s founder, that Pat-Med was lacking a chess club.

Desmond said, “I saw that we were missing a team, and that people were playing a lot and I thought we could use a chess club.”

At the first meeting there were countless games going on all at once with players ranging from very experienced to completely new to the game.

I love chess because it improves critical thinking and makes me smarter and it’s very fun.

— Desmond Chierico, founder of PMHS Chess Club

It was inspiring to see players of all skill levels come together and enjoy a game they love playing. The welcoming environment encouraged all players to ask questions and have a fun time.

But why should you give our chess club a shot?

The club advisor Ms. Avdoulos put it best when she said “It’s a great way to have some teamwork skills and meet new people. It is important to practice critical thinking and learn a new game.”

So, what are you waiting for?

If you are a Chess enthusiast, looking for friends or just trying to learn a new game, head down to room 248 next Wednesday for the next meeting of the Chess Club.