PMHS Science Olympiad

A club that enhances both the mind… and college applications.
Photo by Ms. Dominger

Science Olympiad is one of Patchogue Medford High School’s many academic oriented clubs that aims to provide students with a means of expanding their scientific knowledge beyond the scope of what is taught in class. A club that is guided by advisors Mrs. Hall and Ms. Dominger but also a student-led community is which control of what projects to take on is in the hands of Olympiad members. Science Olympiad is truly a club that is a benefit to the mind and future accomplishments

The Science Olympiad is one of Patchogue Medford High School’s many academic oriented organizations that aims to provide students with a means of expanding their scientific knowledge beyond the scope of what is taught in class. A club that is guided by advisors Ms. Hall and Ms. Dominger but also a student-led community in which control of what projects to take on is in the hands of Olympiad members. Science Olympiad is truly an organization that is a benefit to the mind and future accomplishments.

Science Olympiad is an active organization that has continued for the past couple years. For the first two quarters of the academic year, students are busy with fundraising for this organization, researching data on their projects and working as a team to enter the regional competitions.

Liam Halpin, a student at PMHS and club member says, “Science Olympiads allowed me to really test my abilities in science while learning the duties and responsibilities of a leader.”

In the past years, common projects such as Sound of Music, Solar Power have won several students medals for placing in the top 10. Other projects involved building bridges, write it do it, forensics, and lab projects involving chemistry, coding, and biology.

“Science Olympiads was very rewarding for me. I made great friends along the way. I love the competitive nature of Science Olympiads and would recommend people to join,” says Isaac Varghese

Additionally, Science Olympiad is an organization that attracts the attention of many college admission officers. Whether you intend to study in a STEM related field or not, having Science Olympiad as one of your activities can present you as a student who is collaborative, innovative, and willing to learn.