• April 18Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• April 18Talent Show is at 7 PM on Friday. Tickets are $5 and may be purchased at the door.

• April 18Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

Filed under PMHS Life

Italian, Spanish, and French — Oh, My!

Learning other languages enables you to interact with people from other cultures and being part of a Lang Honor Society is a pathway for this.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Italian, Spanish, and French — Oh, My!

The Italian, Spanish, and French Honor Societies have a yearly induction ceremony to welcome new students into different cultures and heritages. Students with well-maintained grade point averages are inducted and recognized in this society. This year's World Language Honor Society Ceremony will be held on May 1st.

Photo by April Scuteri

Photo by April Scuteri

Photo by April Scuteri

The French, Italian, and Spanish Honor Societies have a yearly induction ceremony to welcome new students into different cultures and heritages. Students with well-maintained grade point averages are inducted and recognized in this society. This year’s World Language Honor Society Ceremony will be held on May 1st.

Here are Patchogue-Medford High School we have many opportunities for you to learn a second, or even third, language. Italian, Spanish, and French are the main languages we offer and being a part of these classes helps you learn new languages to speak with people in different cultures.

If you excel in speaking these languages, you can be inducted into their honor societies. The World Language Honor Society induction ceremony for Italian, Spanish, and French, will be on May 1st.

Recently, the French Honor Society did community service events such as making sandwiches for local soup kitchens and reading the book MADELEINE to people at Barnes and Noble. Also, every Tuesday and Thursday, French Honor Society members volunteer their time and tutor other French students in our building.

The French Honor Society celebrated National French Week by constructing the Eiffel Tower and the Viaduc de Garabit, in class, using marshmallows and spaghetti. They also hosted Patchogue-Medford’s first Paris Photo Booth and made daily announcements that introduced more of the French culture to our high school students and staff. This week (Feb. 4th – 8th) they will be selling Candy Grams for Valentine’s Day.

The Spanish Honor Society is currently doing a fundraiser with Yankee Candle to raise money for scholarships given to senior members of the club.

Abigail Yoches, an active member of the Spanish Honor Society enjoys being a part of the club because “Honor Societies try to tap into the different areas of our more diverse culture and we try to integrate different cultures to create a better melting pot in our sometimes divided American society.”

Lastly, the Italian Honor Society just raised over $500 for scholarships for senior members of the club. They sold raffle tickets around the school for auction items the members helped gather and assemble. The money raised will go towards giving dinners to families in need in our community.

About the Writer
Isabella Scuteri, Staff Writer

Grade 11

"Work until you no longer have to introduce yourself."

1 Comment

One Response to “Italian, Spanish, and French — Oh, My!”

1. Amanda Coccia on February 7th, 2019 1:34 pm

Glad to see the Red & Black posting about our language honor societies. I know that these groups majorly influenced my high school experience, and I am so grateful to Pat-Med for providing these opportunities. Now in college, pursuing foreign language education, I can say that these clubs helped me tremendously to further engage me in the cultures of the languages I am learning and pursuing, allowing me to engage even more with my professors and Language TA’s. Keep at it Pat-Med!

• Italian, Spanish, and French — Oh, My!

PMHS Life

Junior Journalists Takeover the Red & Black

PMHS Life

The Junior Journalism Day Experience

PMHS Life

How They Inspire Each Other

PMHS Life

Homecoming Theme for 2019

PMHS Life

Alabama Tornado School Supply Drive

PMHS Life

PMHS Goes Vogue

PMHS Life

100th Day of School

PMHS Life

JV Academic Teams Wins First Match

PMHS Life

Interested in Research?

PMHS Life

PMHS: Ready to Put Cancer in the Penalty Box Again

Italian, Spanish, and French — Oh, My!