Will PMHS Walk the Runway Again?

Remembering the Senior Fashion Show.
The Senior Fashion Show (pictured here in March 2019) was a staple at PMHS. Not only was it a major fundraiser for the class, it was a chance to get together as a community and have a great time. The grand finale tradition features seniors lining our high school stage in their college apparel.
Photo by Elizabeth Fairless

This week PMHS hosted one of the biggest nights of the year – Raider Bowl. As each class rallied together competing in events and cheering each other on, it’s safe to say the annual event was once again a success. However, as pre-COVID 19 activities come back from hiding, Raider Bowl may have some competition again if one of Pat-Med’s most attended events makes its comeback. 

This event was last hosted back in 2019, before any current Pat-Med students even entered high school. With lights and cameras flashing, microphones hot, hair and makeup ready, and curtain calls being made, the Senior Fashion Show had everyone making sure they got a ticket to the show. 

Before I go any further, I know what you’re thinking… 

What is the Senior Fashion Show? 

PMHS Social Studies and Special Education teacher, Mr. Demarco, explains that it “was an incredible event that PMHS Seniors always looked forward to. It was a wonderful fundraiser for the senior class, and always gathered a huge audience.” 

At the last fashion show, back in 2019, Mr. Demarco co-hosted the event with PMHS and RaiderTV alum, Andres Rendon (Class of 2019).

Various categories of outfits were presented on the catwalk, ranging from evening wear to pajamas.

Mr. Demarco said the show “exhibited the best of fashion from categories such as sportswear and pajamas and casual wear, to creative themes like Disney wear.” 

After talking to different teachers, many of them recalled the Senior Fashion Show as one of the biggest nights in the school year, possibly beating Raider Bowl attendance. The fashion show was especially special for seniors (hence the name, Senior Fashion Show) as it gave seniors an opportunity to take part in school activities besides Homecoming.  

“It was a way for seniors to get involved in their class between Homecoming and graduation in a fun and creative way. It enabled students to step out of their comfort zone in a way that everyone enjoyed (especially the audience!).” says Mr. Demarco.  

With the business during Homecoming season and the beginning of the school year (and don’t forget college application season), it’s no surprise that seniors find hard to find the time to really enjoy their senior year.

On top of that, graduation approaches faster than anyone realizes, so having an event such as the Senior Fashion Show mid-year seems like a great way to bring the class together! 

Mr. Demarco continues, “Not to mention, it was a great way to raise funds for the graduating class! Between the fashion, the music, the fun and the laughs, it’s definitely an event that we need to bring back to PMHS.” he adds. 

Like any club, fundraising is important. If you’ve ever attended a Class Meeting, then you know that fundraising plays a big role in important school events such as Homecoming. However, for the senior class, fundraising plays a bigger part than just funding supplies for floats or t-shirts. Scholarships, senior trips, and most of all, senior prom, are all major events in need of funding throughout the year. If we choose to bring it back, the Senior Fashion Show could be an additional way to fund for the Class of 2024. 

Although, it’s important to keep in mind that no current student has attended the Senior Fashion Show, therefore it would be a new event for all of us. If students embrace the idea of this PMHS tradition could help for a potential comeback for the show.  

When asked if the Senior Fashion Show should be brought back for future graduating classes, Mr. Demarco responded with “Yes! Some seniors who didn’t want to take part in Homecoming (or missed out for some reason) had this fun opportunity to still get involved before the end of the year.” 

What do you think? Should the Senior Fashion Show make a comeback or should the past stay in the past?

Personally, I think it would not only be a great way for students to get involved, but also a fun and interactive way for the graduating class to raise money for all their senior year activities.

Make sure to take the poll and let us know your thoughts! 

Should PMHS bring back the Senior Fashion Show?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

View Comments (2)