• April 18Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• April 18Talent Show is at 7 PM on Friday. Tickets are $5 and may be purchased at the door.

• April 18Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

Filed under Opinion, Uncategorized

Does Our Generation Know How to Live Without Social Media?

This generation of teenagers is addicted to their cell phones. As they get older and become busier will they grow apart from the screen or will there be time made just for spending on their phones?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are we too connected to our social media accounts? What is the impact on the individual for being a part of those communities?

Photo by Delaney Reh

Photo by Delaney Reh

Photo by Delaney Reh

Social media has always been a controversial subject. This generation of teenagers tends to defend it and find all of the good qualities and reasons it is beneficial. That is most likely because we have always known of it. Teenagers now, were probably given cell phones before middle school. There was no hoping or wishing for them, they were expected. We grew up looking at smartphones and tablets and computers. For our whole life, we’ve been able to just Google the answer and see what everyone was up to at the push of a button. Considering we have never known otherwise, I wonder, when will we delete social media?

It takes a lot of courage and self-reflection to look at yourself and realize you are addicted to social media. According to Morgan Meyer, a Licensed Professional Counselor Intern at Counseling South Austin specializing in women’s issues, the satisfactory feeling that comes from using social media provides it with the platform to take over your life. The positive reinforcement distracts us from boredom or anything going on in our lives.

When sending your morning Snapchat streaks is more important than getting to school on time, social media has already become a huge problem. If you feel the need to go out with your friends just to take pictures, it’s a huge problem. If you post pictures of your meal before even getting the chance to smell it, it’s a huge problem.

“If I didn’t get a lot of likes on a picture I don’t know if I would delete it but I definitely wouldn’t be happy with it,” says Sydney, a sophomore at Pat-Med.

Self-validation is a huge part of using social media in the wrong way. Nobody should ever feel they have to post a picture and get at least five hundred likes to feel good about themselves. Considering that is what most people are doing nowadays, it is threatening to our future as adults in the real world. Will our generation still depend on likes and comments in ten years? Do we know how to live without it?

“I don’t know, I guess I’ll just delete it when I am too busy for it,” says Molly, senior.

However, in my opinion, we should all try to live without the screens starting now. Just see how long you really can go without it. There are some people who would not be able to last a day. When thinking about your adult life and possible future family, does your Instagram account make an appearance or can you do without? Will you still send “streaks” of your future children to high school friends? Our generation is the first to deal with this question and I can only hope we become wise enough to make the right decision.

About the Writer
Sarah Bacon, Editor in chief

Grade 12

"Life isn't about getting and having, it's about giving and being." -Kevin Kruse