Playoff Push

Boys+Varsity+Soccer+celebrated+its+annual+Senior+Night+to+honor+those+players+that+have+dedicated+their+high+school+%28and+some+times+more%29+time+to+team+sports+before+graduating.+

Photo by Christian Gonzalez

Boys Varsity Soccer celebrated its annual Senior Night to honor those players that have dedicated their high school (and some times more) time to team sports before graduating.

After a slow 0-3-0 (W-L-D) start this season, the Patchogue Medford Boys Varsity Soccer Team has had one goal in mind; to make playoffs.

Over the last few weeks the team worked hard, adding on 4 more wins while only losing 3 more games and tying one more. They now sit at 5-6-1 after last nights senior night game against Longwood.

A huge crowd came out to support the team for their last home game of the season, and to say farewell to the seniors who would be playing their very last game in raider stadium.

I had an opportunity to listen in on senior striker PJ Brown talk to the team before the game. He said, “This is some of our last chances to take a win here at raider stadium. We can do this, we tied them (Longwood) once already.”

Everyone knew this was an important game. The Raiders needed to win their last 2 games to make playoffs.

This was also an important game for the opposing team, Longwood, who need at least a tie to make playoffs.

Early in the game, sophomore Juan Yanes scored his first ever varsity goal for the Raiders, putting them up 1-0. Then, right before halftime, senior Emre Sahin scored his second varsity goal for the raiders, making the score 2-0. In the second half, sophomore goalkeeper Logan Guzik made some incredible saves to keep Longwood’s score at 0.

The Raiders ended up winning 2-0 against Longwood on their senior night, inching one step closer to making playoffs while also ending Longwood’s season.

I had an opportunity to talk to head coach Tim Trava after the game. Before coaching here at Patchogue Medford, Trava coached college soccer at St. Joe’s University in Patchogue. He also played for the Raiders back when he was in high school. He said “This was an important game.

Our season was on the line. This was some players last time playing out here on this field in front of their friends and families. The boys stepped up and got a big win. I’m proud of them and the way they handled themselves out here tonight. But our job’s not done yet, we still have to go and beat Sachem East to make playoffs.”

The Patchogue Medford Boys Varsity Soccer team will play their last game of the season on Tuesday night at Sachem East High School.

If the Raiders win, they will continue on to playoffs. But if they lose, that will be the end of their season.