• November 13Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• November 13Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

• November 13Today is an 'A' day!

Would an NFL Team Succeed in London?

Opinion piece on a question that many fans of the NFL have pondered

Football in London? Could the Jacksonville Jaguars be the team to make the move?

Photo by Delaney Reh

Photo by Delaney Reh

The Jacksonville Jaguars have been playing a game annually at London’s Wembley Stadium. This, however, may not be all in the future for the Jags. Owner of the team, Shad Khan, withdrew his offer of trying to buy Wembley Stadium but still shows interest in partially playing games there.

The issue of being one of the smallest markets in the NFL in Jacksonville has always been a challenge for the team. Their viewpoint on the topic is that they could gain more popularity by being a partially international team, and it can boost revenue.

The executives of the team claim that it will not affect the opposing players due to the long flight over and the difference in time zone. This cannot be measured unless this goes into effect but it seems like it would be a huge advantage to the Jaguars, as much as the team office says it will not.

Khan’s main reasoning for this desire to move a group of home games a year to London seems to be for his project of revitalizing the Jacksonville area, by including a new entertainment area near the stadium which would promote the city and hopefully draw people in.

This move is not definite but the options are being weighed as Khan looks to find revenue for his project and the interest that the Jaguars are drawing in the United Kingdom grows stronger every time they play there. There are even Twitter and Instagram accounts with the goal of promoting the team throughout the country. The Twitter account has over 18,000 followers which is nowhere near the 648,000 of the main account but it’s a start.

In an article with ESPN, the NFL’s international executive VP said on the UK fans “The Jags have built exceptional relationships locally — with fans, with Wembley and the FA, with local boroughs, with the Mayor of London and the national government.”

The topic definitely draws attention and makes people question if the team would function playing more than one game a year overseas. The positives would be expanding the game of football and creating more revenue for the host team. The negatives are how it would affect the opposition and their routine as well as fans of the team in the US city losing home games that they look forward to.

It would still be interesting to see a team try playing in the United Kingdom. Addressing the jet lag, maybe a team would have to play there only after a ‘bye week’ so that they have time to adjust. Plus, season ticket could be offered tickets to the game if they find their own transportation.

The Jaguars seem like their seven home games in Jacksonville are safe for now but their future in Northern Florida still doesn’t seem concrete.

About the Writer
Eric Wertz, Staff Writer

Grade 12

"I'm an apostrophe, I'm just a symbol to remind you that there's more to see." ~Dan Reynolds