• November 13Be sure to follow us on our social media accounts! Icons above!

• November 13Your business can purchase ad space on our home page! Complete the form under "Contact Us"!

• November 13Today is an 'A' day!

Filed under A&E, Movie Reviews

Silence is Survival: A Quiet Place Review

WARNING: Spoilers Ahead

Want to know what coming to a theater near your? R&B has the scoop!

Photo by Matt McCabe

Photo by Matt McCabe

Ever wonder what it would be like to live in complete silence? Well, imagine having to live the rest of your life without saying a word. John Krasinski’s horror film A Quiet Place rated PG-13; was top in the box office for almost two weeks in a row bringing in millions of dollars. It just recently returned to the top spot this past weekend. Actors John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Noah Jupe and Millicent Simmonds were all a part of the horror film that sent spine chilling sensations down everyone’s backs, but was it all that we were hoping for?

The beginning scenes of the movie show you that they are at day 89 of the invasion and something horrific occurs to the family. There isn’t much insight into how the monsters arrived or what the beginning days of the invasion was like but, all we know is that they are blind and navigate their way around using sound, hence the family having to be quiet in order to stay alive. They go through the rest of the film trying to live their life as normal as possible, still doing everyday tasks and making sure the kids still have a childhood. They communicate using sign language, and walking on sand to block out the sound of footsteps. Music was a huge part in this production. Although there was no sound there was background music throughout the whole movie that led you into those jumpy scenes and the touching family scenes that had everyone in tears. This is one of those movies where you can’t get up or else you will miss a lot.

Although A Quiet Place had perfect camera angles that let us truly feel like we were a part of the movie there was some cons. The biggest con was the silence in the theater. For some people it was had to stay still. “Every time I moved I feel like everyone in the audience could hear me” “I’m not a loud chewer but I felt that I could not eat my popcorn because it would have been too distracting”. “For some reason it was harder to stay quiet than any other movie, I felt like I kept having to talk”. When it comes to scary movies I am all against them I rather watch a comedy but this movie wasn’t as “scary” as I thought. I personally felt the previews and the trailers led me to believe it was going to be a different level of scary. I feel like watching this could be a onetime watch movie.

Overall, A Quiet Place is a perfect movie to watch with your family. It had intense scenes from Emily’s amazing realistic birth performance to John’s death scene, but also amazing chemistry with the cast. It truly felt like they were a real family that would do anything to protect each other. I recommend definitely going to see the movie while it’s still in theaters. One piece of advice, if you chew loudly you might not want to get popcorn.