Three, Two, One… Countdown to Graduation

Editor in Chief, Hailey Julian, sits down with PMHS’s top three graduates of 2017.

Photo by Michele Sullivan

Lauren Sanchez (left), Emily Potter (center), and Jennifer Li (right).

Obtaining a position as one of the top three students in this year’s graduating class can not be an easy feat by any stretch of the imagination. For three young women, that achievement became their reality amidst the winding of senior year, being accepted into universities across the country, and still maintaining stellar GPAs.  I was able to sit down with the top three of the Class of 2017, Jen Li, Emily Potter, and Lauren Sanchez. I found them to some of the most humble students I have ever met. Here’s what they had to say about an array of topics ranging from PMHS, their lowest grades, study snacks, and support.

Red and Black: To whom or what do you owe your success?

Lauren Sanchez: My family most definitely. Since my little brother has autism, I knew he would not have the chance to graduate so, my family pushed me very hard to do well in school. Without their belief and their support I would not be who I am today.

Emily Potter: My parents have always supported me in my decisions and school work but I have had intrinsic motivation as well. I have motivated myself to get where I am today. In addition, some very important teachers, such as Ms. Sweda and Mr. Rudnicki, have given me the confidence and perspective to push myself  even farther.

My success can be attributed to the teachers that have helped me through the years, my parents that worked hard for me to do well, and also my own perseverance and endurance throughout my time in school.

— Jennifer Li

R&B: What was your biggest struggle getting to this point?

JL: I have to say I struggled with myself the most through the years. Whether it was lack of motivation, doubt, or stress, when you are sleep deprived, pressured, etc., it can be hard to push forward, but you always try to keep in mind the long-term goals.

EP: My biggest struggle has been the high expectations that I have for myself. Sometimes I take on too much at a time when it comes to school, work, and tennis. However, I have learned to manage my schedule better, and be better prepared for college.

LS: My biggest struggle was trying to find the balance between what classes I wanted to take, such as how many AP’s I would take and what electives. Also, junior year was the hardest because I really had to focus and lost some communication with friends but, luckily I am back on track.

R&B: Was the process of choosing a college difficult? What college are you attending in the Fall?

JL: The college process was difficult as it is a process neither my parents or I have experienced before. I give special thanks to my teachers, guidance counselors, and of course Google. In the end, I was fortunately accepted to Duke University with a full scholarship.

EP: The college decision process has been stressful and arduous. I am still waiting to hear back from nine schools, but I am completely excited to have been admitted to Northeastern university’s honors program. The waiting aspect is the worst part of the whole process.

LS: It was a very complicated process, especially for me. I was recruited for rowing my junior year, twenty different coaches met with me but I then had to narrow it down to five. Once I narrowed it down to three, I finally chose to attend Princeton University. I was pretty lucky because since I was recruited, I only had to apply to one school knowing I would get in.

RB: What is the lowest grade you have ever received in school?

JL: It was a 65. However, our kind teacher gave us a 10 point bonus so, I ended up with a 75.

EP: I received a 45 on a Global History quiz (including bonus!). To this day, I am still firmly against quizzes that only have five questions.

LS: I got a 60 on a HUG (Human Geography) quiz. It was a pop quiz and I didn’t know where Honduras was so, I just guessed on a bunch of them.

R&B: What is your go to study snack?

JL: I love to drink tea.

EP: Cheerios. I eat them almost daily.

LS: I do not eat when I study!

RB: Are you excited or nervous to leave high school?

JL: Definitely excited. Of course the great staff here at PMHS will be missed but, I believe the future is boundless and I am excited to explore.

EP: I am excited to leave high school. I have often dreamt of the future and I cannot wait to embark on this journey. A fresh start is a great prospect.

LS: I am sad because I love Pat-Med and have cried a lot this year. But, I am excited because I do know some students going to Princeton. I know it will be much different in terms of the caliber of school, and I can not wait to arrive and start working on my future.

RB: What was the most fun you’ve had at PMHS?

JL: I enjoyed my time in AP Studio Art very much. It was a very different class than my academic classes, however it was definitely challenging but, I love challenging my inner artistic side.

EP: The most fun I’ve had has been being on the school tennis team. I’ve played on the varsity team since my 9th grade season and it has allowed me to grow relationships and become a better player. The milestones that I was able to achieve with my teammates like making the playoffs or all-county are so important to me. Also, going to concerts and music festivals with some of my best friends are some of my greatest memories.

LS: This year Model UN was definitely the most fun. The planning was very stressful but luckily we got some help from the honor societies and friends. It was the most fun I’ve ever had. It’s so cool to me that I have had friends since freshman year because of that program.
As you can see, these girls are very extraordinary people. They have truly worked hard to accomplish what they have. Not only are they extremely smart, but also very kind and well-rounded. It was definitely not an easy road, as all of them can attest, but they made it. I wish the best of luck to all of them as I know their talents will most definitely shine through during they venture on to their new schools. These young women have certainly made our school and community proud.